Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to?

• Please log in to reply
394 replies to this topic

#1 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Probably not going to get a lot of action in this thread, but since there are now at least two music freaks here now, I'll give it a try. Whatcha listening to right now? Doesn't have to be what you like best, or your favorite band, just what is on your turntable right now? Yes, I know that is dated, even I have an MP3. And if you are listening to your all time favorite album right now, then post that.

Warning, I am all over the map tastewise, and probably not very current.

In the house, working my way through a John Coltrane collection "Interplay". 5 discs of mid 50's bebop jazz before Coltrane was super famous (jazz famous anyway), but before he got waaaay out there.

In the car
Lightnin' Hopkins - The Complete Aladdin recordings - his earliest stuff, basic folk blues
N'Dambi - Pink Elephant - former backup singer for Erykah Badu - OK, not her best
Cast In Bronze - Best Day Ever - carillon (see wikipedia) player I heard at the TX Renfest - love his version of Tubular Bells
Lizz Wright - Dreaming Wide Awake - r&b singer - decent album, but nothing to jump up and down about

And no, I listen to more than just weirdnesses. Just finished with Kelly Clarkson's new CD. Her best in a while. And Derek & the Dominoes (Clapton) - The Layla Sessions. A 3 disc set of Clapton/Duane Allman Layla album including alternate takes & jam sessions. Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Layla - nuff said!

#2 Metsfan19

Metsfan19

Umpire

• Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:46 PM

Man you really are all over the place,

I like a lot too but I stick to many modern stuff....My entire itunes library is from the 90- the 00's
roughly 4000 songs, lots of rock but i do mix in some hip hop and rap and sometimes even electronic stuff, I'm still young so my tastes aren't very wide...but I do listen to a lot of different groups and bands

#3 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

Man you really are all over the place,

I like a lot too but I stick to many modern stuff....My entire itunes library is from the 90- the 00's
roughly 4000 songs, lots of rock but i do mix in some hip hop and rap and sometimes even electronic stuff, I'm still young so my tastes aren't very wide...but I do listen to a lot of different groups and bands

I'm 54, so my high school & college years were the 70's (explains a lot doesn't it). At that age, I was all about what was current, give or take 5 to 7 years. But, invariably as you get older, the music will change also, and probably you won't be in sync with the changing styles. So then, it gets easier to explore other stuff, because to satisfy your musical thirst, you start exploring & branching out. I HATED rap when it first came out, and really have little liking for it now. Probably the biggest reason is that when it came out, it took over all the soul music stations, and really marginalized everything I listened to. So, they would play soul at certain times on the jazz stations. From there I started to like some jazz, and eventually branched out.

Remember, older stuff seems lamer than shit to people now. But in its prime, it was the coolest thing going (check out Cab Calloway - Are You Hep to the Jive?) When your kids get to your age what you listen to will be lame. I remember my daughter calling some of my stuff fossil music.

But you didn't answer the question. What are you listening to right now?

#4 Metsfan19

Metsfan19

Umpire

• Members
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Right now I have a Spotify playlist of dance/house/electronic music going, I'm going out to a club/bar in a couple hours so to get me in the mood, Just a little bit of that

#5 dhood8083

dhood8083

Anxiously awaiting 1986..

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

I went for my morning run. I was listening to "Electric Mud" by Muddy Waters and a Betty Davis compilation. That is the Betty Davis that was married to Miles.

#6 dhood8083

dhood8083

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

Posted Image

What is he listening to?

#7 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

I went for my morning run. I was listening to "Electric Mud" by Muddy Waters and a Betty Davis compilation. That is the Betty Davis that was married to Miles.

Electric Mud - a great album. My brother won a bet with a work buddy that he could come up with a copy of it in 24 hours (mine).

Betty freakin' Davis !!!!!! Cool!!!! A definite gap in my collection. Super interested in that one. She is the one that got Miles listening to the music of Hendrix & Sly Stone. Nearly uncredited with helping to shape a new direction for one of the biggest jazz innovators of all time. Allmusic.com shows two different compilation packages. Is it one of them, or is it a custom comp? Man, you have some great stuff!!!!!!!

#8 dhood8083

dhood8083

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:45 PM

I'm not sure. I will look in the iPod when I get home and let you know.

#9 dhood8083

dhood8083

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

This is the track I was listening to this morning. It is from a compilation called "This is It".

#10 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

I get to do a lot more listening at home on the weekends, especially if the wife has weekend shifts (nurse). Got to finish up the Coltrane set. Got through two more.

Robert Randolph & the Family Band - Live At the Wetlands (2002) - Came out of a church group called Sactified Strings (I haven't heard them), that plays mostly instrumental Christian music on (yes) pedal steel guitar. Out on his own, he does mostly a hybrid of rock/funk/jazz. Stuff is really good. This is the 3rd album I've picked up from them. He is damn good on the pedal steel, sometimes sounding like steel guitar, and other times like he is choking a Stratocaster. This is a live one, just before they closed Wetlands. Anyone remember the Wetlands??? They closed it just before I left the City. Funnily enough, I worked at a reggae club a few blocks away for about a year.

Gordin Goodwin's Big Phat Band - Act Your Age (2008) - A friend of mine who is all into big band jazz gave me this. This is not your normal 30's & 40's big band jazz. This shit cooks!!!!!!! Nice room for a lot of cool solos (they tear it up!). Some good guests too. Chick Corea, Lee Ritenour. Very upbeat stuff.

#11 dhood8083

dhood8083

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Here is the album artwork with the track listing:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 dhood8083

dhood8083

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

This is my favorite Robert Randolph performance. This was on VH1 a few years back. Rob Thomas from Matchbox 20 is singing:

#13 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

You got any kind of list of what you have? You have some absolute nuggets of gold. If so, send the list to my email please.

#14 dhood8083

dhood8083

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:00 PM

I wish I did..lol....It will take me at least a month.

What I'm doing is putting stuff on my ipod and doing my catalog that way...I will keep you posted!

#15 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I wish I did..lol....It will take me at least a month.

What I'm doing is putting stuff on my ipod and doing my catalog that way...I will keep you posted!

Thanks dude, appreciate it. I'll keep track of what you mention that looks good to me. I'll also ask you some "what do you have by ..." requests. If you have already seen some stuff you want from my list, let me know. I'll be more than happy to get a start on burning some discs. I've got a lot of Miles from the era you were talking about. Some of the box sets are very cool, like "The complete Bitches Brew Sessions" etc. It takes me a while to burn. The drive on my computer does a good job, but for some reason it is slow as hell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users