Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to?

• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

#391 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

Still more catching up - a peaceful Thanksgiving morning, happy holidays to all - no responsibilities for the first half of the day, Mrs. mjjm has an early day shift (patient care is a 24/7/365 profession), and still have another three hours until we have to be at my sister's house.  The most down time I've had all month.

WestCoast - Enjoyed the Ana Popovic tunes.  On the videos - the first one, she is playing to the camera a bit, and the second one is an "everybody on the stage for your two minutes in front" performance.  But she kicks ass on the third video, really getting into it.

Some observations on the video,,,,

She breaks a string right after the 6:00 minute mark after hammering and stretching them for a while.  Clearly isn't the first time she's done this live as evidenced by the quick guitar swap out mid-verse.  Kudos to her bass player for taking a few lines of the verse to give her a quick couple of seconds.

Check out the guitar body (whatever the hell you call the curved parts of the body above and below where the neck attaches), at the 7:10 mark when they zoom in on her hands.  You can see all the chips out of the paint, along with some touchup attempts.  Clearly a well used working guitar.

#392 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:43 PM

And the final post of this morning's burst....

Added some new stuff - once again, my favorite store, Half Price Books, had a coupon sale, happens 2 or 3 times a year.  Well, those European packages of artists from the 50's had made their way to the clearance racks by now, so the price was minimal.  Got another 6 artists collections, 5 jazz musicians and a jazz/blues singer (Jimmy Rushing).  European music copyrights used to expire after 50 years.  It has been extended to 70 years, but anything from before 1963 remains at 50 years.  So there are a lot of labels that specialize in re-releasing older music, especially from the late 50's.  Some of the packages are of very hard to get albums.  There is a lot more than jazz available, but I had no interest in the 50's pop also available.  And although my tastes run far beyond 50's jazz (or just jazz for that matter), these deals were way too good to pass up.  Six to eight album packages for around $3 to $4 apiece.

Another advantage of having varied musical tastes is that I can frequently find something I want in the clearance rack which has found it's way there since it wasn't of interest to anyone else.  For $1 to $2 I also found some good salsa, a cabaret singer I know my sister likes and "The Best of 60's Party Rock" (currently playing).  While I am more of a child of the 70's (graduated high school in 1975), there were some cool songs that I didn't have on anything else on it.

But, the best news, by far, is that through a guy who I swap music with, I have gotten access to another collection about the size of mine.  While there are significant overlaps (not unusual if you find someone you are talking music with - I don't have a lot of knowledge or interest in classical, rap or country music for example), there are likely at least 200 albums of cool stuff I will be able to get.  Already have identified albums from Joanne Shaw Taylor and Joe Bonamassa (both of whom we have been talking about).  It's like being a kid in a candy store with Mommy's credit card.  Without the resultant cavities and obesity of course.

#393 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

West Coast had a great recommendation of a blues-rock guitar player to me, Joe Bonamassa.  So I have been exploring his music and came across this on his website.  Bonamassa is offering a free download sampler album.  It contains 12 tracks from 12 different albums.  All you have to do is enter your email address and it immediately sends you a zip file.  In terms of computer safety, I have Webroot software on my computer, and the file registered as clean.  

For a Windows computer, you just unzip the file.  I then moved the folder to my Music Library in Windows Media Player, but that is not a necessary step.  The instructions say that for an Apple environment, you have to convert the tunes using iTunes, but I'm not familiar with that.

Anyway, West Coast's recommendation was excellent, and this is a sampler off of 12 different albums by Bonamassa for free.  Here is the website, with the download link just below the top banner to the right.

https://jbonamassa.com/

One question for any who is familiar with them.  Going through some music available to me, I saw several albums from a band named Gov't Mule.  Apparently a side project from two members of the Allman Brothers Band, Warren Hayes on guitar and Alan Woody on bass.  I am a big Allman Brothers fan, especially liking their extended jams.  Anyone have any feedback on Gov't Mule?  Southern Fried rock?  Jam Band?  Hard rock?  Any info would be appreciated.

• brian stark likes this

#394 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:44 AM

mjjm, Gov't Mule is a mixed bag. My son gave me a download of their stuff. Some I have liked, some not so much. Their music that is in the vein of Southern Rock is really good, some of it is fried some hard rock.

I do have a great solo album by Warren Haynes called Tales of Ordinary Madness that is really good. Blues Radio and Angel City are two of my favorites off the CD. Two great blues tunes.

Speaking of blues have you heard Tinsley Ellis? His vocals are raw and raspy but pretty good. He plays a pretty mean guitar.

#395 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the Gov't Mule info, I'll give them a try.  The new collection that I now have access to has several of their later albums, plus a 3 disc live set.  I'll let you know what I think, although it will be forever before I get to listen through to all the new (to me) stuff I can get.  I asked my friend's buddy about Warren Haynes, but he has none.  

I've got several by Tinsley Ellis.  I like him and his self-described "swamp" sound.  I have a live album by him I haven't gotten to yet.

I have been overwhelmed (happily, not complaining) by the amount of new music I have been able to add over the past 3 years.  A good friend of mine had been a radio DJ down here back in the late 60's through the mid-70's on a smaller station.  He also used to small time DJ local stuff (community center dances, VFW events, etc.) out where he lives north of Houston.  He has a huge collection, and we talk music a lot.  We swapped tons of music.  At a gathering at his house, I met one of his longtime music friends.  So we swapped a bunch as well.  And in the last month, yet another retired friend of theirs moved back to the area for the winter.  One thing led to another, and here we go.  The last guy's collection is absolutely massive and stored here.  I may find a couple of hundred I want out of it before I am done.  Only catch is that his personal "catalog" is on index cards, so I have to manually go through the discs to see what's there.  I pass by once a week, and leave with a bagful to add.   I have a bunch that he doesn't have to swap back, so he is happy with the arrangement as well.

#396 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 11:29 AM

How about some favorite Christmas songs? This is one of mine. Who doesn't like the sound of Bing Crosby? He sounds awesome even speaking!

Okay, I'm not a David Bowie fan, but on this song his voice is pretty good too!

#397 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:32 AM

Today I decided to break out some old CDs I haven't listened to in a while. This is the first one:

615HkSr2NGL._SX425_.jpg

Even though this was done with the London Symphony Orchestra clearly Rick Wakeman is the centerpiece. While with Yes he was an important component of their sound he was not as prominent as he is here.

I will listen to this a couple of times and then comes:

515QB7YzOSL._SX425_.jpg

Then this:

81H4WKjp2VL._SX425_.jpg

#398 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:28 AM

Oh West Coast, the memories that music brings back.  The Wakeman piece "Excerpts from the 6 Wives of Henry VIII" on the Yessongs album literally opened musical doors for me.  Different than anything I had ever listened to at that point.  Blew my mind.  

#399 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

Have you heard this one?

61ShWQOAGqL.jpg

Favorite track of it by Justin Hayward

#400 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Cool WC - I hadn't heard that before.  Fits well with the era.  First thing it made me think of was Tubular Bells, by Mike Oldfield.  The late 70's were my college days.  That was when I discovered that there was a near infinite variety of music out there.  

#401 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:22 PM

mjjm,

You might want to try this one as well:

61XzL3TmubL.jpg

This is one of my favorite tracks.

#402 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

Here is another good one:

#403 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:17 AM

Was not familiar with either one of these releases.  Had a chance to listen to the first track, liked it.  Looked up the album, there is an impressive array of players on it.  Will check out the other one after work.  Thanks WC.

#404 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,929 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:52 AM

mjjm this is another one you might appreciate that most people have never heard of that I really enjoy. Annie Haslam has an amazing voice. 

61PYZ-b7n5L.jpg

If you just want a good taste of their whole body of work try "Tales of 1001 Night" 1 &  2

A little taste:

#405 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,067 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:37 PM

Shared an apartment with a friend in college.  He and his girlfriend played Renaissance/Annie Haslam constantly.  Over and over and over and over, broken up only by Billy Joel.  Just can not listen to them any more, and can only take Billy Joel in very small doses.  Do not have either in my library.

On a different note (yes, very poor pun is intentional), I have been in music heaven swapping albums with the guy I told you about.  I have added at least 200-250 albums so far, mostly all blues and jazz.  He has gotten a similar number from me.

Here are some of my new adds - Beth Hart, Coco Montoya (both on your excellent recommendations), Walter Trout, Sonny Landreth, Eric Gales, Matt Schofield, Gov't Mule, Chris Duarte.  I've filled out on these guys - Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, Tinsley Ellis, Eric Johnson, John Mayall, Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

I'm through all of his jazz, and about 80% through his blues.  Won't be buying anything for multiple years as I listen through all of this.  He is equally thrilled, filling out his jazz through me.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users