Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

OK music freaks - Whatcha listening to?

• Please log in to reply
414 replies to this topic

#406 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:23 PM

Shared an apartment with a friend in college.  He and his girlfriend played Renaissance/Annie Haslam constantly.  Over and over and over and over, broken up only by Billy Joel.  Just can not listen to them any more, and can only take Billy Joel in very small doses.  Do not have either in my library.

On a different note (yes, very poor pun is intentional), I have been in music heaven swapping albums with the guy I told you about.  I have added at least 200-250 albums so far, mostly all blues and jazz.  He has gotten a similar number from me.

Here are some of my new adds - Beth Hart, Coco Montoya (both on your excellent recommendations), Walter Trout, Sonny Landreth, Eric Gales, Matt Schofield, Gov't Mule, Chris Duarte.  I've filled out on these guys - Buddy Guy, Jonny Lang, Tinsley Ellis, Eric Johnson, John Mayall, Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

I'm through all of his jazz, and about 80% through his blues.  Won't be buying anything for multiple years as I listen through all of this.  He is equally thrilled, filling out his jazz through me.  

I get that about listening to someone too much. My best friend loved Billy Joel, he was not a favorite of mine to begin with but hearing him over and over was a bit too much. Plus because he was from Hicksville most local radio played him too much too. I think you should give Renaissance another try. :) 

#407 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,975 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

I think you should give Renaissance another try. :)

I would give my ex-wife another try first.

No I wouldn't.

#408 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:06 PM

I would give my ex-wife another try first.

No I wouldn't.

I want to strangle mine. I am busy at the age of 61 to ramp up my accounting and tax practice that I do on the side to make it a full-time gig while my ex just sold her house and moved to Arizona to retire.

#409 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,975 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

I want to strangle mine. I am busy at the age of 61 to ramp up my accounting and tax practice that I do on the side to make it a full-time gig while my ex just sold her house and moved to Arizona to retire.

Could be worse.  You could still be with her.....

#410 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:18 AM

I picked up a new car. A 2017 Subaru Legacy Limited 3.6R with a 578 watt Harmon Kardon sound system so I need to take it for a test drive (the sound system not the car, I already did that. I bought the car, remember?) So I broke out an old favorite:

51x9K0kG3mL._SS500.jpg

I saw these guys live at the Hub in Hempstead . Awesome show. The best energy exchange at a concert I have been to.

#411 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,975 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:16 AM

Great album.  Never saw them live.  You are not the only person who I have heard say how good their concerts are.  A college friend always said the best concert he went to was a double bill of them and Climax Blues Band.

Finally got to the last of the "3 blues chicks with guitar" albums I was talking about a while ago.  Catherine Denise - Treat Me Like A Lady, from 2011.  Self released, plays around the San Antonio area.  I was impressed.  Can play a nice guitar, not just a rhythm guitar who sings the blues.  

How the three artists compared for me...

1 - Joanne Shaw Taylor - I can't recommend her highly enough.  Good vocals, excellent guitar.  After I heard an album by her, I tracked down 2 more.  All were great.  

2 - Catherine Denise - see comments above.  Actually waited a little bit to listen to her, as I (correctly) doubted she would be as good as Taylor, and wanted to hear it with unbiased ears.  Would be happy to hear more by her.

3 - Carolyn Wonderland - not a guitar player in the sense of the other two.  Bluesy singer with a wider stylistic range.  Decent, but definitely third out of the three.

#412 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

I keep playing with the sound system in the Legacy. The latest is playing music via a thumb drive in the USB port. My son lent me some music he had on a drive that included this on it. This is the first time I had heard it:

Awesome jam.

#413 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,975 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:41 PM

I always like trying to pick out which guy is playing solo.  

#414 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:21 PM

I always like trying to pick out which guy is playing solo.  

Me too, I was hoping YouTube would show the video to see if I was correct!

#415 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,975 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

RIP Dennis Edwards - lead singer for The Temptations for many years.

Vocals don't get any better than this (starting at 1:55)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users