Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Member Generated Suggestions & Requests

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,306 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:32 PM

I've tried that (to the right actually), but I found that I just kept going back to the bottom out of reflex.

That goes away.

#62 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,306 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

one of the best way to get rid of windows problems:

https://linuxmint.com/

(in other words, kick Microsoft to the curb for a more efficient Operating System)...(not that I've used Linux much since upgrading my windows computers to Windows 8 and then Windows 10...I was not a fan at all of Windows XP or 7; they were slower than molasses...then I really liked Windows 8.0 because it was fast and Linux like, but then they dumbed/slowed things down for the morons that are used to the way Windows has always been)

I'm no longer concern about the OS on my computer.

As I make my home IoT, I worry about my home security.

#63 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

I'm no longer concern about the OS on my computer.

As I make my home IoT, I worry about my home security.

luckily most non-home computer stuff is not run on Microsoft...most set top boxes and other things that you use in your home (other than the computer) is Linux based software

#64 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,306 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

luckily most non-home computer stuff is not run on Microsoft...most set top boxes and other things that you use in your home (other than the computer) is Linux based software

If Linux become the one all IoT software, it will get hacked.

#65 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

i gave two of the Linux platforms a try.  Its far less intuitive than windows.  I have no doubt with a little effort, I could learn the basics, but it wasn't an effort I wanted to put in.

#66 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

i gave two of the Linux platforms a try.  Its far less intuitive than windows.  I have no doubt with a little effort, I could learn the basics, but it wasn't an effort I wanted to put in.

that's why I usually stick to the more user friendly versions, like Linux Mint...

what versions did you try?

the first time that we tried Linux, my wife and or daughter had screwed up the gaming computer that my son had built from scratch...and when we tried to reload Windows XP, the hard drive was still corrupted...so we downloaded a German Linux distro, that neither one of us really understood...and then after running that for awhile, I found a more user friendly distro, might have been Ubuntu but it might have been something else (I've tried so many versions that I forget what order that I've used them in)

#67 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:21 AM

Mint and umbutu. They were supposed to be the most user friendly, but each too a level of programming type language (similar to dos style with different words) that brought them above my level of ability without significant learning

#68 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,978 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 07:46 PM

Mint and umbutu. They were supposed to be the most user friendly, but each too a level of programming type language (similar to dos style with different words) that brought them above my level of ability without significant learning

so you were working inside the Terminal Window? you know that you don't have to work in there unless you know what you are doing, right?

DlyYM.png

#69 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

To give a little background, I was building a HTPC (home theater PC) that was going to allow me to cut the cord in a way that was separate from the ruku driven methods.  To be fair, this was approximately 4 years ago, and advances in the user-friendly Linux platforms may be leaps and bounds beyond what I experienced.

i was working partially within the terminal window and partially outside of it.  Some of the programs I needed had windows like apps that were self purposed.  Others, required minimal to extensive terminal work just to get them installed.  A lot of my steps were google driven and accomplished, but for ease of my wife's use and the sake of my time with adjustments that needed to me occasionally made, I decided to shell out the $100 for windows.

• Saxon likes this

#70 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,978 posts

Posted Today, 11:47 AM

that would explain it...how did the project work out? 

The main things that I use Linux for is either to browse or to watch things like youtube videos, and Linux on an older computer does these tasks without buffering much better...Windows tends to "bog down" very easily...

I almost never do anything in the Terminal, I leave that the more experienced Linux guys (if I have a question/problem, you go into the Linux help forums, tell them what system you have and exactly what you are trying to do and what messages you are seeing...they can tell you how to find the exact system statistics, you send them back to them and then within a day or so, someone has found exactly what you need to do to make it work...and you just basically retype exactly what they wrote in your Terminal)..the information also varies from what version/build of Linux that you have...

What I think is interesting, is just how little memory and what CPU's that you can make "hum" with Linux/Android, vs what you need to make Windows not have issues...With Windows, you pretty much need something with at least a 3 GHz Quad core processor, with at least 4 GB of Ram and a pretty large/responsive Hard Drive (or Solid State Drive)...with Linux/Android, it can get by with a lot less while delivering superior quality...

By the way, both Roku and Amazon Fire TV basically use a medium grade Cellphone ARM CPU and minimal memory, while using an Operating System that is either based on Linux or Android...the latest versions:

Roku: 

Processor: ARM Cortex A53 

Memory (RAM): 1 GB;

Storage: 512 MB;

The Roku box runs a heavily modified version of Linux called Roku OS. The first-generation Roku players first came with Roku OS 1.0. After that, Roku has continued to update the software with bug fixes, security updates, feature additions, and many new interface revisions. In October 2017, the Roku software version 8.0 was released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

Amazon Fire TV:

Processor: 4x ARM Cortex-A53 @ 1.5 GHz (I think that the guy that updated this wiki page did more detail than the guy that updated the Roku page);

Memory (RAM): 2 GB

Storage: 8 GB internal

The device initially ran Fire OS 3.0, based on Android Jelly Bean 4.2. According to Amazon, that made it "simple for developers to port their services and games over to Fire TV."[4]In November 2017, Amazon launched the Fire TV version of the Amazon Silk web browser.[20] In December 2017, Mozilla launched a Fire TV version of the Mozilla Firefox browser.

https://en.wikipedia.../Amazon_Fire_TV

#71 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,978 posts

Posted Today, 11:53 AM

and since this discussion, I brought my old Windows Vista computer out of storage (AMD single processor CPU, 1 GB of Ram and a 1 GB Graphics Card) that I have 2 hard drives on (one has been upgraded to Windows 10, which is pretty slow...and one that has a "Chromebook" simulated OS on it called "Cloudready)...I am currently using the Cloudready/Android OS Hard Drive...and it is moving along pretty quickly...I used it as a Windows 10 computer yesterday and it was slower than shit

https://www.androida...omebook-673992/

#72 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted Today, 02:44 PM

project turned out very well thanks to:

reddit community:  Lots of posts outlining what you need to build a computer.  

you-tube:  Showed mirror capable steps on what goes where

various internet guides: teaching me which programs I needed.  How to configure an API.  

It's really amazing how you can take something you know absolutely entry level information regarding, and accomplish something like this.  I had a lot of fun buying the component parts, assembling the computer, and then having the satisfaction of a working computer :)  I had less fun trouble shooting when things went wrong and we had issues with the under powered graphics processor or when my computer added something to the network and re-shifted all the local host IP address i had created but didn't make static.

all in all, was a cool experience.  ok not cool, completely nerdy, but fun :)

#73 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted Today, 02:50 PM

and yes Linux is very resource friendly, but I thought a lot of that had to do with antivirus which is barely needed in the recreational Linux world as there's not enough user-ship (ie: victims) for virus's to be worth while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users