Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Member Generated Suggestions & Requests

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,026 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:18 AM

Both on my home desktop and on my work desktop. 

I would think that the way the site tracks an individual computer would be through the use of cookies.  I don't want to delete all cookies, but wonder if I can identify an individual cookie and periodically delete it.

The only other way I can think of is that a site maintains a database of machine IDs, but I would think that list would be massive.

#77 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 10:42 AM

moving forward - maybe view the daily news site only in icognito tab.  I believe it expunges all cookies at the end of use that way.  Might be a way to game the system.

Cookies are still used, but everything starts "fresh" when the incognito window is launched. This applies all storage, including Cookies, Local Storage, Web SQL, IndexedDB, cache, etc. Of course Chrome also leaves pages out of the browser'shistory. Chrome's incognito mode sets the cache to a temporary folder.

https://stackoverflo...mode-do-exactly

• Saxon and mjjm367 like this

#78 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,026 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

moving forward - maybe view the daily news site only in icognito tab.  I believe it expunges all cookies at the end of use that way.  Might be a way to game the system.

https://stackoverflo...mode-do-exactly

It just worked very well.

I thank you much and award you all of February's Internet Guru points.

#79 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:37 PM

now that that's solved...how do you get sportspyder.com & ebaumsworld to stop complaining about a popup blocker being on? It keeps blocking the site unless I turn off the popup blocker off (that I don't even have)...it blocks the screen telling me to "white list" them...

#80 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,026 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:04 PM

Didn't happen on either site for me.  I am using IE10 with Webroot security.

#81 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:21 AM

The NY Daily News will no longer let me view articles.  It will let me open the site, but now shows the following when I click on an article..

"You've reached your monthly free article limit.
To continue reading, subscribe now with this great offer on Pulitzer Prize-winning journalism!

Unlimited Digital Access
Only 99ยข for 13 weeks"

I'm assuming that it is through the use of cookies.  Anyone know how to delete the cookie for this specific website?

Otherwise, screw them.  Too many places to read about sports for free.

I got my first warning today from NYDailyNews....I haven't reached my limit yet, but they are suggesting 13 weeks for 99c

don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm using a different browser than I normally use to access the site...I'll try the incognito mode if I do reach the limit

#82 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,026 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:25 AM

I got my first warning today from NYDailyNews....I haven't reached my limit yet, but they are suggesting 13 weeks for 99c

don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I'm using a different browser than I normally use to access the site...I'll try the incognito mode if I do reach the limit

I have been using the incognito tab (called an InPrivate window on Microsoft Edge) since Fang suggested it.  I still get the "buy me for 99 cents" banner each time, but I haven't been blocked.  I've been using it for over a month, including multiple weeks in February after I had been blocked.

Fang, thanks again for the tip.

#83 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

no worries, glad the idea worked out - every once in a while a good one strikes, shame to have wasted it on the daily news/post, but to each their own :)

• mjjm367 likes this

#84 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:09 PM

so apparently (even without using stealth mode) if I use google chrome, the daily news doesn't care if I have free articles...if I use Firefox, it cares...

#85 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,026 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:35 PM

so apparently (even without using stealth mode) if I use google chrome, the daily news doesn't care if I have free articles...if I use Firefox, it cares...

Maybe it doesn't recognize you as the same guy in Chrome (different cookies?), and you haven't hit your limit for the month.

#86 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,078 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:29 PM

Maybe it doesn't recognize you as the same guy in Chrome (different cookies?), and you haven't hit your limit for the month.

the kicker is that I use chrome 95% of the time...the only reason why I was using Firefox is because that is where my wife's Amazon Prime log-on info is saved on my computer (my plain Amazon is on Chrome, hers is on my Firefox)...so since I was buying the new Judas Priest album, I was on Firefox...

so getting back to the point, I probably access the Daily News about 30 times a month on Chrome; and about 5 times a year on Firefox...

#87 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 08:42 AM

possible to remove the WC standing page?  Its a sad reminder of last season when all I want to think about is the current standings where we're 8-1!!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users