Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PC Crash

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:04 PM

I will be mostly offline as PC crashed. And I'm searching for my Recovery disc.

#2 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

I'm still surfing via a tablet. I'm getting better at it, but I have no idea how to copy & paste with it.

#3 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

If android:  hold your finger on the screen.  It will highlight the word you're on with two dots.  Pull the dots in each direction to select your text.  The copy symbol should look like two sheets of paper stacked.

#4 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

if you have a working PC (or access to it), you can download Windows 10 to a flash drive or a DVD and load it (you don't even need your Windows Key Code)

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

#5 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:13 PM

don't know how committed you are to the Microsoft OS...but, I put a 2nd hard drive on my one computer that tends to struggle with Windows and installed Linux Mint on it...it runs much better when I run the Linux Mint hard drive vs the Windows 8.1 or 10 hard drive (and it really sucked with the Vista hard drive):

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

IMO, Linux handles graphics and video much more efficiently than Windows does

#6 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:07 PM

if you have a working PC (or access to it), you can download Windows 10 to a flash drive or a DVD and load it (you don't even need your Windows Key Code)

https://www.microsof...nload/windows10

I should in a few more days. I ordered a new AC adapter for my laytop and it is due to arrive on the 25th.

#7 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 02:12 PM

don't know how committed you are to the Microsoft OS...but, I put a 2nd hard drive on my one computer that tends to struggle with Windows and installed Linux Mint on it...it runs much better when I run the Linux Mint hard drive vs the Windows 8.1 or 10 hard drive (and it really sucked with the Vista hard drive):

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
IMO, Linux handles graphics and video much more efficiently than Windows does

My computer is an All-in-One. So nothing internally can be added as there are no spare slots.

#8 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

I can't get my laptop to work either. So I'm left with one choice. Buying Windows 10 Home 64 bits OEM DVD.

#9 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

I can't get my laptop to work either. So I'm left with one choice. Buying Windows 10 Home 64 bits OEM DVD.

didn't you have windows 7 or 8.1? If you download it on someone else's computer, burn it to USB flash drive or a DVD, it should let you upgrade for free...

#10 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

Took a couple of tries, but I have manage to get my PC to start with the Win10, but I lost all my installed programs. But right now, my mouse won't even work. So I got a lot of work ahead to do.

#11 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,769 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:53 PM

While not as drastic as your PC crash Dru, here is one for the Annoying As :fbomb: Files...

I have a Logitech wireless mouse on my desktop.  Have had the brand before, and they are functional and durable.  Never a complaint.  Well, I have had this one for a while, and it is still working great (eventually the left click mouse button wears out, but it takes years).  I have a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries that I swap out when needed.

Anyway, lately, I noticed the mouse lagging as I moved it across the screen, not all the time, but often.  Normally a sign of low battery, so I swapped the charged set in.  Still lagging intermittently.  So I put a third set of batteries in.  Same problem. 

Go to the internet and find some Windows forums saying that it is due to the upgrade to Windows 10.  Can't be, because I upgraded months ago, and this just started (and these posts are dated).  Another suggestion is that a Win 10 update screwed up the drivers.  Haven't had an update in quite a while.  More posts saying that the wireless receiver is too far or being interfered with.  Again, no, has worked for the last 2 years in the same position.

On to some Logitech forums.  All sorts of "advice" in there, messing with directories and all sorts of things I am not touching based on the postings of some forum "expert" (and there are always other "experts" posting the dire warnings if you listen to the other "expert"). 

Nothing is helping, what the hell is wrong with the damn mouse and why is it intermittent.  By now I've had it and am going out to buy a replacement.  Look at the Logitech forum one more time.  There is a guy saying that he has had a problem with the on/off switch on the bottom of the mouse toggling off & on.  Other people saying that this was also the case.  Worth a look.  Get a bright flashlight, and flip the mouse over.  Switch isn't worn, doesn't easily toggle, no luck again. 

But while I'm looking at the bottom of the mouse, I notice something in the small hole that the tracking light comes out of.  Inside of it is this very small ball of dust that moves around inside the hole.  As I shake the mouse, I notice that an occasion, the ball covers the light aperture.  Son of a bitch, are you kidding me!!!!!!  A small puff of air, the dust ball is gone.  Mouse works perfectly again.

Sand in the ointment syndrome.

#12 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

Found the damn shoebox with my SW, but there was no HP recovery disc.

And my current Win10 is unstable as its accessories keep popping open or closing on their own. I figure the problem is my wireless keyboard & trackball. As I can't find their proper drivers.

#13 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:23 PM

can't you just go to their sites for the updated drivers?

#14 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:33 AM

I kept going in circles trying to get HP OEM keyboard driver at the web site.

I didn't have the trackball installed correctly. I redid it and the jumpng has reduced. I hve ordered a new wireless keyboard from Logictech.

And I found a site onlne that sell Recovery Disk.

#15 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,673 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:27 AM

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/home

pretty much all that I have is logitech keyboard and mouse products...

I do have a microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse as well, but it doesn't work with Win10 as well as the Logitech ones so it's not currently in use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users