Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rene Rivera - Traded to Cubs

#MetsBench Rene Rivera Catcher

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,282 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:34 PM

#2 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,282 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:53 PM

Rene Rivera’s Two-Run HR an Unexpected Offensive Bonus

:newsday: by LAURA ALBANESE/laura.albanese@newsday.com

Rene Rivera is a defensively sound journeyman catcher who has a reputation for calling a good game and spent the early portion of the season in the minor leagues. And he’s “challenged” offensively.

At its best, that’s faint praise, but what Rivera showed Wednesday in the Mets’ 8-0 drubbing of the Braves is something worth noting: His career bouncing around the majors has helped the 32-year-old acclimate to pitchers quickly, like he did with Steven Matz during the 24-year-old’s masterful performance, and by the time it was all over, Matz himself was praising Rivera for the work he did behind the plate.

As for the offensive liability part? Well, yes, he hit .178 with the Tampa Bay Rays last season, but if his second-inning, two-run homer off Jhoulys Chacin is any indication, there might still be a little juice in that bat.

He catches a great game, Terry Collins said. He hits a home run, that’s huge and that even helps the guy he’s backing up — ‘Hey look, if I have a day off, things are going to run smoothly.’ I’ll bet you tomorrow night, Kevin [Plawecki] plays very well.

With Travis d’Arnaud on the disabled list (strained right rotator cuff), a reliable third-string catcher is a boon for the Mets. And one who can effectively wrangle their young guns is a premium. Which means Wednesday’s showing is especially encouraging.

You’ve got to be honest with yourself, Rivera said. I know I can produce, but my main concern is my pitching staff and how I can help them to have the best game they can have at that moment. That’s where my concentration goes.

:source:

#3 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,282 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Cubs Claim Rene Rivera From Mets

:mlbtr: by CHARLIE WILMOTH

The Cubs have claimed catcher Rene Rivera off waivers from the Mets, the teams have announced. To clear space for Rivera on their roster, the Cubs have designated righty Aaron Brooks for assignment.

Rivera is the latest veteran to leave the Mets this month, following the trades of Jay Bruce, Neil Walker and Curtis Granderson. The 34-year-old Rivera has hit a modest .230/.278/.391 in 187 plate appearances this season and has never been an outstanding hitter, with a career .215/.266/.340 line in parts of nine big-league seasons with the Mariners, Twins, Padres and Rays in addition to the Mets. He has, however, long rated as a strong defender and framer, two skills the Cubs surely value. (The Cubs had, in fact, been connected to Rivera before they acquired Alex Avila last month.) With Willson Contreras on the DL with a hamstring strain, Rivera will presumably back up Avila. He is making $1.75MM this season and is eligible for free agency at season’s end.

The 27-year-old Brooks arrived from the Athletics organization prior to the 2016 season and initially looked like he would provide good starting pitching depth, but he missed most of that season with a hip issue and hasn’t been the same since, posting a 6.20 ERA, 6.8 K/9, 1.8 BB/9 and 27 home runs allowed in 138 innings this season with Triple-A Iowa. He pitched for the Royals and A’s in 2015 but has not appeared in the big leagues since.

:source:

#4 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,838 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:20 PM

yjsy's not actually traded...

#5 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,038 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

Claimed, true, but ends up traded for PTBNL or Cash.

Knowing this organization, I expect it to be just cash.

#6 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Claimed, true, but ends up traded for PTBNL or Cash.

Knowing this organization, I expect it to be just cash.

Nada, not even the proverbial bag of balls.   Cubs offered nothing and Alderson accepted, but you're right.... salary not spent is cash

#7 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,038 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Wow, I figured we could get SOMETHING for him.

#8 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,746 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

I see the logic in not looking to re-sign him with the salary bump he is likely to get but he is going to be missed. He was the only catcher that could actually throw a runner out.

#9 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,838 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

I see the logic in not looking to re-sign him with the salary bump he is likely to get but he is going to be missed. He was the only catcher that could actually throw a runner out.

plawecki doesn't suck as a catcher, he just sucks hitting MLB pitching...but I'll agree that Travis no'D has no business being behind the plate...ever...

I just hope that Thomas Nido puts himself into MLB consideration...soon

#10 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,115 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:20 AM

from what I read, they are planning on a TdA Plaw combo next season, so they probably wanted to get that going sooner or later as we're in 2018 planning mode rather than 2017 completion mode.

#11 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,794 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Catcher is not a position of strength through out MLB.  TDA/Plaw is probably league average.

Lucroy is a free agent, but I would avoid him.  Fading, defensive metrics cratering, getting older and will want a contract that covers his decline years.  So he can turn into what we already have?

The player that greatly interests me is Wellington Castillo from the Orioles.  Currently playing his age 30 season, with a slash line of .229/.336/.514/.851 with a caught stealing % around 50%.  Yes, that is not a typo, 50%.  Has a $7M player option on his contract that he would be a fool not to decline.

Either him or the current combo.

#12 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,038 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:36 PM

As I posted in the shoutbox, the negative attention we get at the catcher's position is really not deserved.

League rate stats for catchers:

.248/.317/.408

Mets' catchers total rates (all players who have started games for us regardless of whether they are still on the squad:

.241/.292/.414

Pretty much the same.

Further:

Plawecki .238/.310/.365 20% CS rate

d'Arnaud: .237/.284/.411 with a 17% CS rate

Pretty much the same.

League average CS rate is 27%, and as I also noted, you can attribute most of that difference between league and Mets average to the terrible assistance that the pitching staff gives them.

Looking objectively, our catchers are giving us exactly what we could expect from a league average catching staff.

• mjjm367 and yogib8 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users