Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PEDs Penalties

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:20 AM

The recent suspensions of Gordon and Colabello have once again surfaced the issue of what penalties are stiff enough to stop illegal PED use. I think several penalties should be put in place:

1-First suspension is 1 year, second suspension 2 years, third and final suspension is a lifetime ban with no reinstatement possible.

2-A player's guaranteed contract is converted to non-guaranteed upon suspension.

3-All future contracts for said player will be non-guaranteed.

4-The following amounts will be deducted from all future payments once tested positive to fund PEDs education and testing:

1. 1st suspension 10%
  2. 2nd suspension 25%

I stress that this is for illegal use. If a doctor has prescribed steroids for therapeutic purposes that is a legal use and not subject to suspension or penalties

#2 abat

abat

An Englishman not in NY

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

Something needs to give. The "I accept the penalty but it must have been something I took by accident" excuses recently really do not ring true.

#3 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:40 AM

its like anything involving two sides, its a slow march towards any results.  The MLBPA won't just accept those terms outright, so something's gotta give.

#4 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll keep saying it until this situation is reasonably adjudicated.

As long as the player is taking a LEGAL substance, obtaining that substance LEGALLY, and using it under the supervision of a LEGAL MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, it should not be the business of ANY sports league to determine what course of treatment a person takes.

if a player chooses to take a PED that has potential bad future consequences, that should be totally and completely up to him (or her). If they are under the supervision of a legal medical professional, then the risks involved have to be explained to the player, as that is a requirement a doctor has in order to keep his license.

If it's LEGAL to use, it should be their choice.

If the player is getting some supplement illegally, is getting a supplement that has been deemed illegal to use, or uses something while not under the supervision of a legally licensed medical professional, then he is cheating and should face the consequences.

Baseball (and every other sport as far as I can tell) already allows some substances/drugs/supplements that are borderline, and some that are legally defined as steroids (cortisone, for example, has been in use for decades now, and some players get injected with that stuff several times a year to stay on the field).

Most of these so-called "PEDs" are not really "performance enhancing", they are more like "performance enabling" ergo, they do not necessarily aid in getting a player to perform BETTER, but assist in recovery to the point where they allow them to recover from injury and actually PLAY instead of sitting on the DL. (Mark McGwire, perfect example).

Isn't that what we should be HOPING for? Talented players to actually be able to play the game they are the best in the world at? It seems counter-intuitive to me that leagues forbid treatments that could aid in health recovery and keep the greatest players on the field. All this does is drive the topic underground, and force players to go to shady lengths to obtain this stuff. Make it above board. Make it legal (again as long as it's legal to use, legally obtained, and legally monitored).

#5 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,818 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:08 AM

not to discount for the legitimate "cheaters", but...for a society that plays the "pity the alcoholic or heroin addict" card to the point of wasting a ton of tax payer money on giving repeated "rehab" or detox efforts to people that have long gone up caring about themselves...we certainly throw players that alledgely test positive for a banned substance under the bus rather quickly...

like Brian said, many of these banned substances are either legal or could be an ingredient in a legally obtain medication...how about a re-education program for the first time abusers...true many of them knew what they were doing wrong; but probably a good amount also don't know what they did wrong...

straying from baseball a bit...Mario Sharapova had been legally taking the same drug for some sort of medical condition for years...and she had informed the WTA that she was taking it from day one...In December, they sent out some sort of long vague documentation and somewhere in the document, her medication was listed as now being a banned substance...she apparently glanced over the long email and didn't notice that what they used to allow, was now not allowed...You would think that if they already knew that she was taking it, that they would address it a little more personally, instead of faguely doing so...she missed it, tested positive for something that she had been taking for years, and now looks like a cheater...

• brian stark likes this

#6 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,769 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:40 AM

The vast majority of PEDs have bad side effects and consequences in later life.  You can say that it is a player's choice if he wants to take that risk.  What about the guy who doesn't want to take the health risk?  It's not a level playing field for him.  Or is he just a punk for not wanting to risk his health?

I wonder if, in the future, we will be debating the merits of PEIs, Performance Enhancing Implants.  After all, if we allow the use of PEDs on the basis of seeing the best game possible, why stop there?  And if that is the case, maybe we need to redefine what qualifies as "the best game".

Cyber-ball - It's not for normals.

#7 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:47 AM

well said, and much more concise than my normal rambling of the similar argument.  Teach me oh wise Yoda.

PS:  Can you imagine the size of the stadiums needed to contain the monster mashes of the CBL?! (Cyborg Baseball League)

#8 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,451 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

its like anything involving two sides, its a slow march towards any results.  The MLBPA won't just accept those terms outright, so something's gotta give.

It's been more than a decade since the Players Assoc. and MLB agreed to a penalty track. 

10 game suspension, followed by 30 game suspension, then 60 and 1 Year before the Commissioner would be involved in  determining a penalty.  

A decade later and we are still discussing how to put PEDs use behind us.   Now there are vocal players who are outraged, but not then save a very few.   A 10 day suspension was an invitation to commit fraud.   Pump your ass full of steroids hit 50 Hrs and win a 100M contract.  

Evil prevails when good men stand silent.

FYI; McGwire was no different than the worst of them   http://espn.go.com/e...6607&type=story

#9 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,017 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:37 AM

And there are MANY benefits of these supplements/drugs, too.

The bad effects come from OVER use, or use by someone who is clueless. Under supervision, most of these so-called PEDs are of great benefit long term.

#10 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

So there in lies the rub.

How to you protect players from having to make a choice between irrevocably harming themselves or potentially sacrificing their careers?  As the values presented by the MLB trickle down to all levels below, how do you protect a impressionable HS student from the same choice?

There are many things that are street legal that are banned in sports.  I think MJJM's example, while futuristic, is a great one.

How do you protect from an impossible choice?  You eliminate it.

#11 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

It is not simply a players choice when a player feels forced to take something he/she would not do otherwise because he feels the need to do so to level the playing field with those that do.

#12 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

Maybe I didn't say it well, but yes, that is what I was trying to portray.  The choice is an unfair one.

#13 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,732 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

Maybe I didn't say it well, but yes, that is what I was trying to portray.  The choice is an unfair one.

My comment was more in response to Brian and backing yours. I just needed to get my 2 cents in!! :)

#14 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,106 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

2 cents received.  Now just 3 short of Bazooka gum!

#15 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,769 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:32 PM

2 cents received.  Now just 3 short of Bazooka gum!

If you have ever read the Bazooka Joe comics, then my sense of humor is explained.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users