Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Phillip Evans - Fighting for EL Batting Title

#MetsFarm Prospect

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,287 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 June 2016 - 03:04 PM

:farmreport:

:eny: by ADAM RUBIN

Phillip Evans has a 12-game hitting streak. That's the longest for any B-Mets player this season. He is hitting .415 (22-for-53) during the stretch.

:source:

#2 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,287 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:16 PM

Binghamton’s Phillip Evans lost a 14-game hitting streak Saturday. It was the longest streak by a B-Met this season. He hit .407 during the stretch.

#3 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,287 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

B-Mets infielder Phillip Evans produced the first four-hit game of his career on Friday against Harrisburg. A 15th-round pick in 2011 out of high school in Carlsbad, California, the 23-year-old Evans already has established career highs for doubles (24) and homers (seven). His .315 average also is on track to be a career best.

#4 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,287 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 02:37 PM

Binghamton infielder Phillip Evans pretty much was a no-brainer to be selected as Eastern League Player of the Week. Evans produced at least three hits in five straight games, hitting .696 (16-for-23) with five doubles and a homer during that span.

For the season, Evans is hitting .333 with seven homers and 38 RBIs in 327 Double-A plate appearances. He spent the opening two weeks with Class A St. Lucie.

Evans would trail Eastern League leader Aneury Tavarez of Portland by one point for the batting crown with two weeks remaining in the season. But Evans currently is short of the 2.7 plate appearances per scheduled team game required to qualify for the official leaderboard. The B-Mets have 13 games remaining. Evans needs 56 plate appearances in those games -- 4.3 per game -- to officially be in contention for the batting title at season’s end without any penalty being assessed.

If Evans comes up short of the required plate-appearance total, the number he is shy of 383 could be counted as hitless at-bats when computing his batting average for purposes of the leaderboard. That’s how Cesar Puello won the batting title with the B-Mets in 2013 while falling six plate appearances shy of officially qualifying.

Evans hit only .234 with no homers and 32 RBIs in 252 at-bats last season with St. Lucie and has taken a big leap forward in 2016.

I think it’s just a lot of all the years coming together -- experience and plate appearances, said Evans, a 15th-round pick in 2011 out of the same high school in San Diego County that just produced Mickey Moniak as the first overall pick in June. It’s turning out to be a pretty good year for me.

As for any technical changes, Evans cited his work with B-Mets hitting coach Luis Natera.

I did spread out a little bit in my stance, Evans said. I’ve just been way more selective this season, and aggressive at the same time.

The 5-foot-9 Evans is a natural shortstop and has started 278 minor league games at that position. But he now has started 53 career games at second base and 33 games at third base -- all since 2014. With L.J. Mazzilli having returned to Binghamton from Triple-A Las Vegas, Evans may see more time at third base down the stretch.

Coming up as a shortstop, it’s a little bit easier to move around -- third base, second base, Evans said. I think I’m pretty even at all three now. The last couple of years I’ve been playing all over the infield. It’s been natural for me the last couple of years.

Evans had committed to San Diego State out of high school, but opted to sign with the Mets.

Tony Gwynn recruited me, Evans recalled. It was pretty tough to say no to that guy sitting in the room with him. ... Now it’s been five or six years flying by. It’s definitely gone quicker than I thought. It feels like I was just signed not too long ago, when I was 18. I’m turning 24 soon. It’s fun to see where I’ve come. But now I’m in Double-A and playing good baseball. So it’s finally getting to that elite level.

#5 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,287 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:38 PM

Binghamton infielder Phillip Evans is hitting .328, which is two points shy of Portland’s Aneury Tavarez for the Eastern League batting title. Evans has another obstacle, too. He has 358 plate appearances since joining the B-Mets. He needs 25 plate appearances in the final six games to qualify for the leaderboard. Any amount he is shy of the required 383 PAs will be counted as hitless at-bats toward batting-crown consideration.

#6 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

is Evans a prospect? he's put up a pretty respectable AA season after being stuck at A ball for longer than I would expect...his numbers suggest that he's got a Daniel Murphy type of bat: not a lot of power or speed, but doesn't strike out much and gets a good amount of Doubles and Knocks...I wasn't real impressed with what I saw from him in spring training, but that doesn't necessarily mean much...

Could we have our future middle infield for the NY Mets playing together at Binghamton?

#7 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

from what I've seen of him in Spring Training, he's looked much improved over last ST...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #MetsFarm, Prospect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users