Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

All Star Game Selection - Are You Satisfied?

#2016ASG

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 steve

steve

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationSt Lucie County Florida (Fall Winter) Baltimore County MD (Summer)

Posted 06 July 2016 - 01:51 PM

Im not,,Why isn't Chris Davis and Adam Jones selected in All Star Game? Chris Davis is a big home run threat. More Dangerous than David Ortiz. The fact is Ortiz is old he doesn't have it anymore so why is he in All Star Game? And Edwin Encarnacion isn't better than Chris Davis nether. And Adam Jones should be on the reserves than Carlos Beltran.

#2 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:32 PM

umm...as far as the DH concern: Ortiz was VOTED in...and he's got an OPS of 1.100 with having a triple crown type of average/OBP/SLG%; Davis is hitting .235...over a hundred points lower than Ortiz...Davis OBP is over 100 points lower than Ortiz...Davis SLG % is about 200 points lower...and his OPS is about 300 points lower...

#3 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:33 PM

It does appear that the Sox/Cubs fans have stuffed the ballot box a bit, particularly when a guy that nobody wanted in the off season is a starting OFer (Dexter Fowler)...

I haven't examined the reserve choices yet

#4 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

Looks like Encarcion is a better hitter than Chris Davis as well...maybe not by a huge margin, but quite simply put: a DH batting .235 has no business making the All Star team...

I was surprised by Beltran, but he's putting up pretty good numbers, also better than Davis...

and you can't challenge the NL reserves, the world's smartest man is the manager of the team...

#5 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 29,923 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

I don't like the current voting system. 

I say the players & coaches should vote. And the media. Along with the fans. To start a player needs to with two out of three. If a position has three different winners, the manager chooses the starter.

#6 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:09 PM

I don't like the current voting system. 

I say the players & coaches should vote. And the media. Along with the fans. To start a player needs to with two out of three. If a position has three different winners, the manager chooses the starter.

By media, you mean the BBWAA?   The fans voting is fine, but one vote per fan unless they vote via a ballot at the game-then one vote for each game attended. 

#7 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:02 PM

Maybe the conversation should be why bother.  2002 was the kiss your sister game and the All Star Game was already in trouble, TV rating which had peaked in 1970 (28.5) had fallen regularly since.   1988 marked the last  year that it garnered a 20 rating. 

Maybe it was the result of the continued growth of the NFL which had long passed baseball as the major sport in the US.  Or the pace of the NBA and the star quality of Jordan, Barkley, Bird and Kareem, or the dilution of the ASG allure by the national exposure provided by superstations like TBS which had been televising Brave's game for over a decade and WGN airing the Cubs and WSox for even longer.

But the ASG hadn't faced the real trouble yet, that began in 1990 when ESPN finally got the MLB blessing to air baseball, two years later Selig was named acting Commissioner after the ownership coup that voted "no confidence" and replaced Fay Vincent.   Selig's relationship with MLBPA almost guaranteed the strike of 1994.   ASG rating were down to 15.7 at this point and still dropping.  The next blow was Allan Huber Selig's interleague baseball introduced in 1997...the once upon a time allure of seeing the other leagues best players was  buried....the rating that season was 11.8.

The 2002 ASG drew a 9.5 rating as did "This year it means something" game of 2003.   There have been 13 "This one means something" with one consistent outcome .....They meant nothing, not one World Series winner as benefited from the ASG winner allocation of the home team.*  That may change this year...or not.   The ASG rating for 2016 was the lowest in 50 years of  known data at 5.4

* My error, 2011 would have been an AL home field by the rotational formula, the Cardinals received the home field advantage through a NL victory in the AS game.

Edited by yogib8, 01 November 2016 - 08:05 PM.

#8 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:09 PM

One vote per fan + one live ballot per game is a system I could handle.  

25 votes per day per e-mail or whatever the current system is feels ridiculous.

#9 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 29,923 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

With today's bots, how can the MLB trust any electronic voting by fans?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #2016ASG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users