Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tim Tebow - Will Start Mets Career with the Fireflies

#MetsFarm Tim Tebow

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:50 AM

Mets Sign Tim Tebow to a Minor League Deal

:metsblog:

12:05 p.m.: Mets GM Sandy Alderson said the team isn't thinking about how likely Tebow is to make it to the majors, rather focusing on the process and what it might take.

11:50 a.m.: Tebow thanked Mets COO Jeff Wilpon and Alderson for the opportunity. When asked what his best position was, Tebow said his "best position is whatever they feel like it is," adding that he's comfortable in the outfield and at first base.

11:45 a.m.: Alderson said the signing of Tebow was strictly a baseball decision, noting that aside from Tebow's age, this is a "classic player development situation" for the Mets.

"While I and the organization are mindful of the novel nature of this situation, this decision was strictly driven by baseball," Alderson said. "This was not something that was driven by marketing considerations or anything of the sort. We are extremely intrigued with the potential that Tim has."

9:00 a.m.: Tebow, 29, will report to the Instructional League in Port St. Lucie, Florida. He worked out in front of 46 scouts from 28 MLB teams last week, according to ESPN, and several teams, including the Atlanta Braves and Colorado Rockies, had expressed interest in him.

Tebow hasn't played baseball since 2005, when he was a junior in high school. The Los Angeles Angels had expressed interest in drafting him, though Tebow did not play baseball his senior year to shift his focus to football.

reg_600.tebow.mh.101912.jpg
A former Heisman-winning quarterback at the University of Florida, Tebow was a first-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, starting his career with the Denver Broncos. He has spent time with the New York Jets, New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles, however he has not appeared in an NFL game since 2012 with the Jets.

:metsdivider:

Matthew Cerrone

10:40 am: First off, this idea that signing Tebow will be a distraction for the big-league team is a little irrational. I mean, it'll be a day or two of questions and that'll be that. It's not like this guy will be playing for the Mets this season. This is more of a next-season story, but will obviously garner attention today because of the announcement, conference call, etc. After that, I expect life will return to talking about the playoff race, injuries, scoreboard watching, and what is happening with the big league team in September...

8:08 am: Not surprisingly, the consensus among scouts with whom I've talked that watched him say he has speed and can hit a ball over the fence, but Tebow isn't likely to demonstrate power consistently enough to justify ever being on a big-league roster. He also projects to be a below-average hitter and fielder mostly because of his size, though he does have a decent arm, they said.

"I thought he was OK," a major league scout told USA Today. "For not having played as long as he had, I thought he did OK. That's a big dude, for as fast as he can run. The power was impressive, but I wish he could have translated it maybe a little better (against live pitching)."

At 29 years old, it's hard to imagine these skills getting any better than they are.

The Mets sent an area scout to watch Tebow at his workout last month, people at the event told me. They also left feeling it was very unlikely Sandy Alderson ended up being the guy inking Tebow to a deal. These people were apparently wrong on their read of the Mets. Hopefully, they're also wrong on their read on Tebow's baseball skills.

At the very least, the Mets get some fun publicity from this when he suits up in spring training. Also, whichever minor league affiliate ends up hosting him will be very appreciative of the attention, I'm sure. It's a nice bone to throw to a disgruntled or dissatisfied affiliate. Tebow himself stands to gain selling a ton of memorabilia and media moments. So, speaking from a public relations point of view, this makes total sense. I mean, why not? He's a nice, positive, confident person with a huge following. It can't hurt.

That said, from a baseball perspective, the odds of him improving and getting to the Mets (or, at least helping the Mets) seem very small.

:source:

#2 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

Mets Sign Tim Tebow to Minor League Deal

:espn:

The New York Mets signed Tim Tebow to a minor league contract and said he will begin his professional baseball career in their instructional league in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

The Mets decided to sign Tebow on Wednesday, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. General manager Sandy Alderson met with team co-owner Jeff Wilpon, who signed off on Alderson's suggestion that they get a deal done.

The instructional league runs from September to October.

Atlanta Braves general manager John Coppolella had confirmed earlier this week that the team had interest in Tebow and had "multiple" conversations with Tebow's representatives as a step toward signing him to a professional baseball contract.

Tebow, 29, worked out for 46 scouts representing 28 teams last week in Los Angeles.

Tebow, who hasn't played organized baseball since his junior year at Nease High School in Ponte Vedra, Florida, in 2005, has been working out with former big league catcher Chad Moeller in Scottsdale, Arizona, since Memorial Day. Tebow spent almost two hours last week at the USC's Dedeaux Field running a 60-yard dash, shagging fly balls, throwing from the outfield and taking swings against former major league pitchers David Aardsma and Chad Smith in his audition for clubs.

Brodie Van Wagenen, Tebow's baseball agent at Creative Artists Agency, told reporters that several clubs stayed after the workout to meet face-to-face with Tebow. The Colorado Rockies were reportedly another team with interest in the former quarterback.

Tebow won the Heisman Trophy for the Florida Gators in 2007 and captured two national championships. He played professionally for the Denver Broncosand New York Jets from 2010 to 2012 and got looks from the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles in 2013 and 2015, respectively, but never played in the regular season for those teams.

Information from ESPN's Jerry Crasnick was used in this report.

#3 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

From Jets to Mets: Why Amazin's tossed a 'Hail Mary' to Tim Tebow

:eny: by ADAM RUBIN

When Sandy Alderson initially was asked one month ago about whether the[/size]New York Mets would consider signing Tim Tebow, the general manager joked: “Are you insinuating we need a Hail Mary at this point?"

Still, Alderson was intrigued with the novelty of Tebow. And the Mets ultimatelyannounced the signing of the former Jets and Broncos quarterback to a minor league contract on Thursday. He will participate in the organization’s fall instructional league in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

Whether the 29-year-old Tebow, now an outfielder, ever reaches the big league club probably is immaterial to the organization. The opportunity alone for the Mets to plaster their brand everywhere as Tebow generates national attention for his baseball pursuit will be worthwhile to the Mets. And let’s just say the Mets should see a nice bounce in terms of attendance at their spring training facility as well as if Tebow ultimately is assigned to a minor league affiliate the Mets own, such as the Class-A Florida State League club based in Port St. Lucie.

Steering Tebow toward the Mets is logical for his representatives at Creative Artists Agency as well. CAA also represent Mets aces Noah Syndergaard andJacob deGrom, and had a hand in negotiating Yoenis Cespedes' contract with the Mets. So there should be benefits for all of their Mets clients in terms of exposure.

How long are the odds Tebow ever plays at Citi Field? Pretty long, although it is not impossible if he is dedicated and applies himself for multiple seasons, given his athleticism. Michael Jordan in his lone season with the Chicago White Soxhit .202 with three homers and 51 RBIs in 436 at-bats with Double-A Birmingham. Would he have ever received a cup of coffee in the majors had he not returned to the NBA?

The Mets did go the pure showman route back in 2000, when they invited entertainer Garth Brooks to Mets camp. He went 0-for-17 in what was deemed mostly a charitable endeavor.

The Tebow signing is more of a hybrid -- some baseball legitimacy, with a lot of upside benefit based on the novelty.

#4 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

Absolutely ridiculous waste of time, energy, and resources.

What the hell is he going to do to advance the organization's efforts to win championships? Kneel and pray? Hell if that worked, we already would be defending World Series Champions because I'm pretty sure every poster here was on their knees praying last postseason.

Another huge blunder to add to the list. I'm beginning to sway to yogi's side of the fence on Sandy. (if this was 100% Sandy and not some Fred/Jeff attempt at back page headlines)

#5 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:11 AM

Oh, and the supposed "potential upside"?

Give me a freaking break.

A 29 year old who has not played a competitive baseball game since his junior year in high school and who is limited to left field because his arm is questionable at best (hell, if the bastard can't hit an open receiver from 15 yards how is he going to throw to a glove from OF to 2B, 3B or home?) and batting practice power? What :fbomb: potential is there in that skillset?

Meanwhile, real prospects who actually perform on the major league stage get jerked around and hosed daily *cough* Wilmer Flores*cough* while our scouts and front office waste precious time, energy, and resources on this piece of shit.

Damn, it's hard to be a Mets fan sometimes.

#6 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

I think, as some of these articles stated, that this signing helps placate unhappy affiliates by boosting attendance as the circus comes to town for them. Nothing more, nothing less.  It has nothing to do with winning on the major league level. When the Braves admit to wanting to sign him I find it hard to unload on the Mets since the Braves regime is one of the classiest of all sports teams.

#7 thomasam

thomasam

Mets AAA Ball Player

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ/ New York, NY

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

I haven't had a chance to tune in lately (new job is a killer) but this intrigued me.  I expected some negative reaction because it seems like that's everywhere, but I really don't see the problem with this move.  I can't imagine the organization will give him more attention or favor him over prospects with more realistic potential.  He's going to be in the low minors unless he suddenly and unexpectedly catches fire.  

I will throw out that he could end up playing some 1B.  I don't mean that he'll ever be anywhere near the majors or that he's going to overtake Dominic Smith in any stretch of the imagination but that's at least an option given the perceived skill set.

#8 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:12 AM

but I really don't see the problem with this move.  

Problem I see is the media circus that surrounds it.

What the Mets PR should be promoting:  Mets surging towards the playoffs as NL Champ defenders.

This is a distraction from that and their true ticket seller.

Maybe its gone in a day or two and it doesn't really detract, but why risk it?

#9 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

I think, as some of these articles stated, that this signing helps placate unhappy affiliates by boosting attendance as the circus comes to town for them. Nothing more, nothing less.  It has nothing to do with winning on the major league level. When the Braves admit to wanting to sign him I find it hard to unload on the Mets since the Braves regime is one of the classiest of all sports teams.

Braves classy? Are you serious? Ever been to a Braves game in Atlanta? Ever seen Chief Tomahawk and that racist tomahawk chop crap they throw up there?

On Tebow, the fact is, he is a 29 year old guy who has not played the game in over a decade and the last time for real games it was against basically children. His defense in the outfield makes Duda look elegant, he has Travis d'Arnaud's throwing arm, and at best batting practice power. That is not MY feelings, that is what SCOUTS have stated.

ANY time he takes from ANY Instructional League prospect is time wasted by this organization. All this demonstrates is the Front Office's dedication, not to winning, but to attention. Yes, this is a business and attention is good, but the attention that actually gets you long-term profit is WINNING, and this signing does NOTHING to advance that idea. Nothing.

#10 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:57 AM

Braves classy? Are you serious? Ever been to a Braves game in Atlanta? Ever seen Chief Tomahawk and that racist tomahawk chop crap they throw up there?

On Tebow, the fact is, he is a 29 year old guy who has not played the game in over a decade and the last time for real games it was against basically children. His defense in the outfield makes Duda look elegant, he has Travis d'Arnaud's throwing arm, and at best batting practice power. That is not MY feelings, that is what SCOUTS have stated.

ANY time he takes from ANY Instructional League prospect is time wasted by this organization. All this demonstrates is the Front Office's dedication, not to winning, but to attention. Yes, this is a business and attention is good, but the attention that actually gets you long-term profit is WINNING, and this signing does NOTHING to advance that idea. Nothing.

That's on the fans. From a baseball operations point of view there are not many like the Braves

#11 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

This is all about promoting the minor leagues. I don't believe it will be a major distraction from what the team is trying to accomplish on the major league level now or during spring training.

#12 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 28,972 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 08 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

Tim Tebow, Mets GM Sandy Alderson On Minor League Signing

:mlbtr: by ZACH LINKS

This post originally appeared on Pro Football Rumors.

When Tim Tebow was last in the New York market, he was under center for the New York Jets.  While the former University of Florida standout sold a whole bunch of No. 15 jerseys, he didn’t make a lot of plays for Gang Green and 2012 wound up being the last time Tebow was on an NFL regular season roster.  After trying his luck with the Patriots and Eagles, Tebow turned his attention to broadcasting.  After years of putting his charm, looks, and athletic background to use on television, he is returning to professional sports in New York.  This time, he’s trying to make it with the Mets organization as an outfielder.

vertTim-Tebow1-216x300.jpg
Tebow, 29, has not played baseball full time in more than a decade.  In his recent audition for major league clubs, he reportedly struggled to hit off-speed pitches from former big-leaguers David Aardsma and Chad Smith.  One scout told ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick that Tebow showed a below-average 40 grade arm on the 20-80 scouts scale – a reminder of why Tebow was never able to make it as a quarterback on the professional level.  Even though he showed “undeniable hitting ability” in the view of Crasnick, one has to wonder how far Tebow can get given his age, rust, and athletic limitations.

Count Mets GM Sandy Alderson among those with faith in the polarizing athlete.  Alderson told reporters on a conference call today that Tebow is not being brought in as a ploy to sell merchandise.  While he recognizes that Tebow faces an uphill battle in many respects, the GM says that the Mets could not pass on “a tremendous opportunity for us to associate with excellence.”

He has demonstrated through his personality a competitiveness that our players can see first hand,” said Alderson, who pointed to pitcher Seth Lugo and minor league standout T.J. Rivera as players who have come from obscurity to find success in the Mets organization. I think any player evaluation starts with tools and from that standpoint, without grading everything out, suffice it to say that Tim has been a great athlete.  He has demonstrated more than rudimentary baseball skills and we think with his commitment to success that this is an opportunity that we think is worthwhile.  In terms of power, arm, foot speed, all of those things….we think he can be a baseball player.  I think that is underscored by his competitiveness and his determination to succeed and improve.”

Alderson indicated that the Mets will be patient with Tebow as he refused to put a timeline on when the former Heisman Trophy winner could potentially reach the majors.  The Mets will find out how ready Tebow is “over the next weeks, months, and possibly years,” though Alderson explained that he will be absent from his Instructional League commitments for “a few days each week” so that he can fulfill his TV obligations with the SEC Network.

So, why baseball and why now?  Tebow explained that walking away from baseball was the “second hardest decision” he ever had to make and, in fact, he planned on making this switch more than a year ago.

[Then Eagles coach] Chip Kelly called in the middle of baseball training and, to me, that wasn’t just any opportunity. I figured Coach Kelly’s offense might fit me really well.  But, we all know how that turned out,” said Tebow with a self-deprecating laugh. “After that, I started doing a little [baseball] training.  Then, after the season, I really picked it up and now we’re here.”

Tebow explained that as he traveled the country doing speaking engagements over the last few years, the itch to play baseball would move him to call up a local team and take batting practice with them.  For UFC fans, this may be reminiscent of pro wrestler-turned-real fighter C.M. Punk telling the world that he has trained for MMA with the occasional jiu-jitsu class and a “background” in Kenpo karate.  But, in both cases, one can’t help but be impressed by the athlete’s positive attitude, competitive drive, and willingness to take a monumental risk in a brand new endeavor.   Punk does not speak of winning the welterweight title from Tyron Woodley and Tebow isn’t telling the world that he is an All-Star in the making.  For Tebow, this is about pursuing a dream – perhaps a little late in his athletic life – and making sure that he does not wake up one day as a 50-year-old baseball fan with enormous regret.

For me, I would consider success giving everything I have,” Tebow said.  That would be looking back on this journey and saying I did everything I could do to be the best I could be.  I don’t necessarily view success as how many rings, championships, or promotions you get.  I view it as whether I did everything I possibly could do to succeed.

Zach Links is the editor and lead writer of Pro Football Rumors, MLBTR’s sister site for the NFL.  You can follow Pro Football Rumors on Twitter – @pfrumors.

Photo courtesy of USA Today Sports Images.

#13 abat

abat

An Englishman not in NY

• Members
  • 2,295 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

As someone who doesn't follow other US sports help me understand this. Some guy who used to be good at American Football wants to be a Baseball Player, the Mets watch him hit a few BP fastballs and sign him to a minor league deal?

#14 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

As someone who doesn't follow other US sports help me understand this. Some guy who used to be good at American Football wants to be a Baseball Player, the Mets watch him hit a few BP fastballs and sign him to a minor league deal?

Actually the Mets did watch and did sign a former NFL quarterback to a minor league deal. He used to play both sports and is out of the NFL and wants to see if he can make a go of it in MLB

#15 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,936 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

The thing is, he used to play the other sport TEN YEARS AGO against basically CHILDREN.

The whole thing pisses me off.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

METS FANG