Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Random Thoughts: 2017

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:37 AM

According to MLB Network:

The Mets have had 3 "7 Homerun" games...all 3 of them have been at Citizen's Bank Park;

The Mets 7 Homeruns in last night's game are more Homeruns hit by 11 MLB teams so far this season (and one more only has 7 so far):

Boston: 3;

Pirates: 3;

Toronto: 4;

O's; Twins: M's; Cubs: 5;

Braves; Cards; White Sox; Marlins: 6;

Injuns: 7;

Rays: 8;

Cespedes is the only Met to have 2 "3 Homerun" games;

(don't know if I believe that one...would have figured that Kingman or Strawberry did that as well)

#2 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 29,623 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

Can Yo & Bru be Mets M&M?

For the young folks here, M&M = Maris & Mantle or Mays & McCovery

#3 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:56 AM

Can Yo & Bru be Mets M&M?

For the young folks here, M&M = Maris & Mantle or Mays & McCovery

when I was a kid, I was originally split between the Mets and the Giants (due mostly due to Mays/McCovey)...When the Mets won the '69 WS and then later on acquired my all time favorite Wilie Mays, they left the Giants in the dust

#4 ShakeShack5

ShakeShack5

Draftee

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:05 AM

Granderson is dead weight.  He is holding this team back.  Conforto and Lagares make for a great platoon in CF, with Conforto splitting starts vs LHP with Bruce in RF.

It was pretty clear that Bruce shouldn't have been the guy being shopped in the offseason.  Granderson could've fetched more value then, as teams reportedly were more interested.  Sandy should've made that deal. 

Granderson might still get us some bullpen help.  We can wait a couple of months and see how things shake out.  We might have other needs as the season wears on.  Perhaps a SP even.  But, it will be harder to get value if Granderson is on the bench where he belongs right now.  I would just pull the trigger early.  Get some BP help.  With this staff, if the Mets get a 5th reliable guy to go with Blevins, Salas, Reed, and Familia, the BP will be in great shape.

I also would stop worrying about who will hit leadoff.  It does not matter much.  The Mets' lineup is loaded if Conforto starts in CF.  The team has hitters.  Just roll them out there and let them do what they do.  Conforto could actually hit lead off if need be.  If Reyes does not get it together, I would consider giving 3B to someone else.  Flores would be an option, he is just so bad there defensively.  If Wright were to ever come back, this team would be absolutely loaded. 

Duda needs to play more regularly at 1B.  I would still find ways to get Flores in the lineup vs. LHP.  Just not always at the expense of Duda.  Let Flores get a few starts at 2B as well.  But, Flores really has no business in the lineup vs. RHP.  Especially when he is placed in the cleanup spot and left in there as the guy hitting behind Cespedes, but vs. RHP late in the game.  It just doesn't work.  TC will need to stop using his bench guy who can come in for Flores as pinch hitters in other spots when he has Flores at clean up. 

Later in the season, if it becomes clear that Wright will not return at all, and Reyes continues to struggle, I would think about moving Cabrera or Walker to 3B, if they can play the position, and bringing up Rosario to play SS. 

A long way to go.  A lot can still happen.  Injuries can reshape how things work out.  We need all of these guys as depth.  But, the one guy who can go and it not kill the team, even if injuries happen, is Granderson.  Go ahead and move him. 

#5 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:02 AM

Conforto hasn't earned the job. He killed the ball in 2 trips to Vegas, hit .300 with a .873 OPS in ST and is now hitting .417/.533/1.000 in a SSS.

Conforto was afforded 65 of 72 games to open 2016 hitting .222/.296/.413 and being sent down for the first time. When he returned he got 13 starts in 20 games and hit .200-.638 OPS.

10 games into the season, it's not right to dump Grandy who hit .302-1.028 last Sept with 8 Hrs. for a team with no Walker and a Cespedes hitting .214 -.675.

Collins is old school and isn't about to disrespect Granderson, he also has to develop a value for him if they have any thought of moving him in Jul. 

#6 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 29,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

As to Grandy/Bruce - you don't remove the product from the shelf before you sell it.

#7 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

I thought they were shopping both, but there wasn't enough in either offer to make a deal worthwhile so they kept them both.  

As for the reoccurring anti Grandy post, it's 10 games into the season.  Do we think Walker/Reyes/Grandy are all going to finish below the mendoza line?  Do we think Cespedes will end up with  100+ HRs?  At this point last season he had a .097 avg with a single 2B as his only XBH.  Finished the year with 30 HRs and a 2.5 WAR.  Let's just give the players a shot at of balancing their ebbs and flows before we send them to the grinder.

#8 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 29,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:57 PM

April is always the worst month to judge a players productions

I remember Swoboda having 8 HRs in April. He ended up with 15.

#9 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 29,623 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

And who here would like to get a pair of Yo's game socks? They're not currently in the MLB store.

#10 ShakeShack5

ShakeShack5

Draftee

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:19 AM

I thought they were shopping both, but there wasn't enough in either offer to make a deal worthwhile so they kept them both.  

As for the reoccurring anti Grandy post, it's 10 games into the season.  Do we think Walker/Reyes/Grandy are all going to finish below the mendoza line?  Do we think Cespedes will end up with  100+ HRs?  At this point last season he had a .097 avg with a single 2B as his only XBH.  Finished the year with 30 HRs and a 2.5 WAR.  Let's just give the players a shot at of balancing their ebbs and flows before we send them to the grinder.

No one is judging Granderson off of 10 games.  He has been here for 3 full seasons and has been in the majors for many more.  He has a whole career of streaky hitting and an average around .230, consistently, for several seasons. 

I don't expect Walker to finish near the Mendoza line, because Walker is a good hitter.  Granderson, not so much. 

#11 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

No one is judging Granderson off of 10 games. He has been here for 3 full seasons and has been in the majors for many more. He has a whole career of streaky hitting and an average around .230, consistently, for several seasons.

Streaky hitters abound, those that step up...not so much.   In the past two seasons when the Mets needed clutch as the lights got bright in Sept., Grandy answered with .277/.409/.521/.930 along with 11 Hrs- 33 RBI and 47 RS.  Last season the Mets went from out of the playoffs to playing .621 ball in Sept. with no Duda, no Walker, very little from Cespedes, T d'A and Conforto.   Grandy, Cabrera  and TJ carried the team.

2014 didn't finish with the Mets in the playoffs, but they did move from 4th in the NLE to 2nd in Sept. 

on the strength of .625 ball.   Not coincidently, Granderson contributed .299/.378/.540/.918 to the effort.

There are lots of players that can carry the ball between the 20s, what every team wants is the guy who will take it inside the 10 yard line.  Grandy has been that kind of player for the Mets.

SS, even though we disagree about Grandy, good to see you sharing your opinion.

#12 thomasam

thomasam

Mets AAA Ball Player

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ/ New York, NY

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

When you really take a close look around baseball, most hitters are streaky.  It's the nature of the sport.  Even when you look at the stats of the greatest hitters ever they have weak months.  

Granderson has always been a low-average hitter but still produces.  He's a power threat that other pitchers have to account for.  His OPS tends to be around .800 which is definitely respectable.  Plus while he's slowed down he still plays strong OF defense.

I'm not arguing that Granderson is awesome and indispensable, but it's not necessarily easy to slot someone else in.  

#13 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 29,623 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

It's not Granderson I'm concern about. It is Reyes. It was reported he was sitting on his stool just holding his head after last nite's game. That is not the Reyes we are familiar with. 

#14 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,963 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:03 PM

Reyes looks like he is pressing, and pressing hard.

I don't know if it's because he is trying too hard or is just past it. We are 14 game into the season, might be too early to tell, but the signs of ominous endings are there.

#15 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:00 AM

I am really disappointed with the way this season has started. When you looked at the easy early schedule I thought they would clean up on the NL East bottom feeders. We have looked like crap and now the Nats come to town with Murphy continuing what he did last season and with Harper back on track and a resurgence from Zimmerman. Not looking good. Shoddy defense, no offense to speak of and a tired bullpen in April. Geez what are the dog days going to look like if the bullpen is already tired?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users