Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Random Thoughts: 2017

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:13 PM

Matt Weiters and/or some relief pitching would have been nice...

that idea of holding onto Granderson didn't work out so good, a waste of money with Bruce/Conforto on the roster...I understand WHY he picked up Bruce (because he had no way of knowing how the Cespedes situations were going to work out)...but once it was clear that Cespedes was coming back, and there was no market for Bruce; he should have taken the Grandy offers a little more seriously

• ShakeShack5 likes this

#62 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

I really have a hard time believing that Montero and Milone are the only options that he has available in the AA/AAA/AAAA route

#63 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,728 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 03:18 PM

personally, I think that it's time for both Collins and Sandy to ride off into the semi-retired "advisory" sunset and let some fresh blood do the day to day dealings...yes, both have served to make the team "respectable" but I also think that neither one is capable of making this team reach the next level...they aren't exactly Epstein and Maddon

#64 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:16 PM

personally, I think that it's time for both Collins and Sandy to ride off into the semi-retired "advisory" sunset and let some fresh blood do the day to day dealings

That could be how the Wilpon's are thinking now.   TC is the most vulnerable, because managers don't fire GM's, but Alderson wouldn't be the first GM to toss a manager under the bus.    Likely it would be a package deal with both of them sharing a cab from the field.  

Alderson wondering how it all went wrong and TC thinking 'you dumb cretin....Milone...really'. 

#65 ShakeShack5

ShakeShack5

Draftee

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

I really have a hard time believing that Montero and Milone are the only options that he has available in the AA/AAA/AAAA route

Some of us were screaming for Fister about a month ago.  Some people suggested it would take a pitcher who is currently out of baseball too long to get ready.  Well, Fister would've been ready by now, and we would not be forced to run Gsellman back out there. 

There was really no reason to not get BOTH Fister and Milone.  If and when Lugo and Matz are ready, it gives the team the option of putting Gsellman and Milone in the pen.  Beats having Montero there. 

And lets face it.  There is no way that Matz, Lugo, Harvey, Wheeler, and DeGrom are all staying healthy the rest of the way.  Wheeler is an automatic sit down later in the season, no matter if he is pitching well, and healthy.  This team needed to bring in 2 starting pitchers once Syndergaard went down and it was obvious that Gsellman wasn't going to pan out.  Heck, the way Harvey is going, he would be moved to the pen if the team had 5 solid starters.

#66 ShakeShack5

ShakeShack5

Draftee

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

Matt Weiters and/or some relief pitching would have been nice...

that idea of holding onto Granderson didn't work out so good, a waste of money with Bruce/Conforto on the roster...I understand WHY he picked up Bruce (because he had no way of knowing how the Cespedes situations were going to work out)...but once it was clear that Cespedes was coming back, and there was no market for Bruce; he should have taken the Grandy offers a little more seriously

It was what I was saying all along.  There was really no need for both Granderson and Bruce.  They are essentially the same player.  Bruce is the guy who started the season hot.  He will, and has, come back to earth, suffering through a tough stretch as he usually does.  Both players only had one year remaining.  Why not deal whichever one gives you the best return? 

We simply did not need them both.  If this team was going to win big, it needed Conforto to be in there and playing well.  Even if someone gets injured, and Cespedes did, how is not having either Bruce or Granderson going to hurt?  You simply put Lagares in CF.  The guy is a much better defensive player than both of those veterans, and even if one wanted to argue that Lagares cannot hit at all, is he even a downgrade at the plate from what Granderson brought? 

The move was trading whichever one of those two players got the best return.  We were offered BP help for Granderson.  We should've taken it and signed Kelly Johnson.  Is Kelly Johnson still available btw?  I would take him as a super utility guy right now.  DFA Granderson.

#67 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

Fang, you are simplifying  the offense by relating to one aspect, Runs, as a measure of accomplishment.   They are also 7th in the NL and 7th doesn't fit into the playoff format.

You may be right, I might be oversimplifying, but in a game where the sole purpose is to score more runs than the other team, the simplest test of team offense and team pitching/defense are runs scored vs runs allowed.  We all know there are many paths a team can take to accomplish those goals.  On offense, small ball (my preferred way - Sandy doesn't agree) or HR is another choice.  Just like for proficient pitchers, fireballers rely on Ks, guys with slick movement get the job done through weak contact.  Either way you choose, score more, give up less, the simplest version of baseball.

Mets have slid to 12th in the league in runs scored. (From 8th) since we started this conversation.

Mets are 29th in the league in runs allowed.

Using that simplest test, is it any surprise they had a losing streak as their run production fell?  But as we know, TdA/Cabrera/Cespedes all recently injured and Duda just back hasn't adjusted back to MLB pitching, so is it much of a surprise the offense has stalled?  That is 50% of your projected offense out for a significant portion of time.  Yes, he relies on the HR, but when guys who will hit you 90 annual HRs get taken out of the line up, your run production is going to falter.

#68 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:00 AM

It was what I was saying all along.  There was really no need for both Granderson and Bruce.  They are essentially the same player.  Bruce is the guy who started the season hot.  He will, and has, come back to earth, suffering through a tough stretch as he usually does.  Both players only had one year remaining.  Why not deal whichever one gives you the best return? 

We simply did not need them both.  If this team was going to win big, it needed Conforto to be in there and playing well.  Even if someone gets injured, and Cespedes did, how is not having either Bruce or Granderson going to hurt?  You simply put Lagares in CF.  The guy is a much better defensive player than both of those veterans, and even if one wanted to argue that Lagares cannot hit at all, is he even a downgrade at the plate from what Granderson brought? 

The move was trading whichever one of those two players got the best return.  We were offered BP help for Granderson.  We should've taken it and signed Kelly Johnson.  Is Kelly Johnson still available btw?  I would take him as a super utility guy right now.  DFA Granderson.

I agree that it was 100% a mistake going into the season with both guys still on the roster.  All along I was POSITIVE Bruce would be traded because it made no sense not to, even if the return was less than you paid, so be it.

This IMO was Sandy's biggest offseason mistake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users