Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mets 2017 - Sellers or Buyers?

#Mets2017 Trade Trade Deadline Seller Buyer

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:45 AM

Now, just give me a minute to explain myself. The Mets are currently sitting at 23-30 and that's after a 2-week stretch that was deemed a cake walk (9 games against the Padres, Angels, and Brewers). It's not going to get easier folks with 11 games against the Nationals, Cubs, and Dodgers this month. It is very possible that we see ourselves 10 games under .500 by the end of June, at which point we should strongly consider selling off some of our short-term assets. I absolutely hate the idea that I'm proposing, but it might be the smartest option for the organization based on the cards we've been dealt this year. If they go this route, here's what they should do:

On the Block

Jay Bruce

Neil Walker

Asdrubal Cabrera

Lucas Duda

Travis d'Arnaud

Addison Reed

Jerry Blevins

These are all guys with somewhat expiring contracts that will have little to no impact on roster post the 2017 season. Might as well see what you can get for them.

August 2017 Roster

C Rene Rivera/Kevin Plawecki

1B Dom Smith

2B TJ Rivera/Matt Reynolds

SS Amed Rosario/Gavin Cecchini

3B Wilmer Flores/Jose Reyes

LF Cespedes

CF Granderson/Lagares/Nimmo

RF Conforto

SP Harvey/deGrom/Syndergaard/Matz/Lugo

RP Edgin/Sewald/Salas/Smoker/Wheeler/Gsellman

Look towards building for 2018.

Thoughts? Does anybody completely disagree?

• Saxon and yogib8 like this

#2 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

agree 100%...time to see what we can get for the guys that are currently drawing close to the end of their contracts...and retool, play the youngsters...

#3 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,287 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

At present, it's not a sellers market.

#4 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

Too early, I agree, but if they are still under .500 at the break, you can't help but start thinking about selling, depending on the market.

#5 abat

abat

An Englishman not in NY

• Members
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:00 AM

Not yet, too long left and too many things can happen.

#6 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:40 AM

Agreed with abat and Stark.  Too much season left.  Also, with the east being as west dominant as it has been, there's going to have to be some movement to get some additional teams in the mix to make it a bit more favorable as a sellers market...

#7 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:15 PM

Fang, your premise was 10 under .500 at the end of June,  short of playing at a 118 win pace they would still be under .500 on Aug. 1.

While it is still early enough to get back in contention,  that isn't going to happen without the starting pitching providing consistent depth, which as been the bane of the BP.   Next weekend we are expecting Matz and Lugo to return;  Matz has made 4 starts in his rehab, the first was 3 IP at PSL with a 3.00 ERA,  followed by 3 starts (13 IP) at Vegas - the last being 4.1 innings with 5 ER and 90 pitches.  Overall Matz had a 6.75 ERA at Vegas.

Lugo made 1 start at PSL 3.0 inning, 6 runs allowed and 62 PC.  His 2 starts at Binghamton were better http://www.baseball-...e=pgl&year=2017   , but also at a level well below the ML.  These run ups are not inspiring and shouldn't be viewed as a solution.

Matz, Lugo, Gsellman are back of the rotation pitchers, unfortunately all too often that is also where Harvey and even deG fit. 

You are probably right about punting 2017 and building toward 2018 when Syndy will be back and Harvey will have had time to build back his velocity and Wheeler will have the training wheels off. 

If the Mets were able to find a home for all

their trading block, all of whom are integral parts of the team, the tweak would need another C since Rivera, along with Grandy, Reyes and Salas are also FAs.   Fortunately the new rules for QO'd FA would be in the Mets corner.

#8 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:58 PM

As Yogi or Casey would say: it's getting late real early around here...

http://www.nj.com/me..._fire_sale.html

#9 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

I agree.  And while the point wasn't mine (JeffMetsFan made the original 10 game post), my point was less that I thought they'd get back into it, and more that teams, this far from the deadline, are less inclined to start making trades.  Come July, there will likely be more of a market and demand...

If someone comes knocking now, I wouldn't ignore the door, but I'm not sitting at home waiting for someone to show up yet either. 

#10 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

I have to say, if you can get something decent for Cabrera, Duda, and Bruce, you have to think long and hard about it.

We have in house replacements for all three right now.

#11 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

I don't think hard about any of them.  Ship them off to the first legit offer we receive.  Don't see low, but legit offers, bye bye.  I just don't think those offers come until July when teams know closer to where they stand and exactly who's selling/available...

#12 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:40 PM

Matt Cerrone was suggesting in an article today that the Mets should entertain offers for Smith. How ridiculous is that?

Will Alderson quit on 2017 and trade his eligible free agents this summer?

By Matthew Cerrone | 8:46AM
Share:   
Jay Bruce, Curtis Granderson, Lucas Duda, Addison Reed and Neil Walker, all of whom are eligible to free agents after the 2017 season (Credit: USA Today Sports)
Jay Bruce, Curtis Granderson, Lucas Duda, Addison Reed and Neil Walker, all of whom are eligible to free agents after the 2017 season (Credit: USA Today Sports)
There are still 107 games left in the 2017 season. However, the non-waiver trade deadline is just 49 games away.

Jay Bruce, Neil Walker, Lucas Duda, Curtis Granderson, and Addison Reed are all eligible to be free agents at the end of this season, meaning they could be viewed this summer as possible trade acquisitions by other teams.

"We're certainly aware of the contractual status of the players that we have,'' Alderson said this past Sunday during an exclusive, on-field Q&A with season ticket holders.

Meanwhile, according to FanGraphs.com, the Mets have just a 1.3 percent chance of winning their division and a 13.5 percent chance of winning a Wild Card spot. 

"If we get the pitching together and start playing up to our potential, I think we can make a run to the end," Alderson added, when asked about getting to a third-consecutive postseason. "We did it last year, and I don't see why we can't do it again."

Seth Lugo and Steven Matz working their way back in St. Lucie (Credit: Vinlove, USA Today Sports)

In other words, before legit talk of being a buyer or seller begins, Alderson clearly wants to see how the Mets play with Yoenis Cespedes, Steven Matz, and Seth Lugo, all three of whom should return from the disabled list during the next week.

The thing is, because the Mets were a combined 68-43 the last two Augusts and Septembers, each of which resulted in a postseason appearance, and given the weak state of the National League, I bet Alderson never considers being a full-blown seller. The other reality is that the teams looking for the players he'd be able to trade are not desperate to part with win-now talent, which is what Alderson will want in return.

For instance, as I discussed Monday offline with Josh Chapdelaine, there's actually a reasonable argument to be made for keeping Duda, signing him to a short-term extension and trading 1B prospect Dominic Smith for long-term pitching.

In this current market, where prospects have enormous value and there are so few free-agent options to fill in with, the Mets will get nothing in trade for Duda. However, they can get value back for Smith, especially if he's packaged with a useful, win-now relief pitcher, such as Reed. I'm not saying I'm convinced this is the right approach, especially since I think Smith is going to be a nice, stabilizing presence for the Mets, but it's worth looking in to before making what is viewed as a conventional move.

The same can be said for Bruce and Walker, both of whom are good, everyday, big-league players who would almost certainly help a team in a pennant race. However, the Mets mostly need pitching or immediate-impact prospects. And, any team in a playoff hunt is not going to trade that level talent to get anyone, let alone Bruce and Walker. Instead, they're going to part with low-level talent with upside or an older minor-leaguer or two that may never get to the big leagues.

In this reality, again because of how the Mets played the previous two Augusts and Septembers, I envision Alderson keeping everyone. In fact, it would not surprise me to see him use prospects to acquire a relief pitcher that is under contract beyond this season. And, if his team is still floating in early August, I bet he picks up an additional reliever on waivers, which is what he's done each of the last two seasons.

May 23, 2017; Bruce (19) hits single at Citi Field. Credit: Murray-USA TODAY Sports

In the case of Bruce and Walker, I can see a situation where the Mets actually consider trying to work on keeping them in Queens for the next few seasons. It's hard to believe, given how Bruce's time started in New York. However, he's been put through the fire and, though he isn't a perfect player by any means, he's come out the other end in a good frame of mind, which is a lot more than I can say about other players that get sent to New York.

"I've enjoyed my time here,'' Bruce said, when asked about his future in New York. "I've been welcomed by the organization. It's a very passionate fan base and a team that I think has a lot of talent and a lot of ability. ... I think I'm an impact player. I think I can help the team in a positive way. .... I take a lot of pride in kind of staying under the radar, just doing my job. ... The more guys like that that you can have, the better.''

In 102 games since being acquired by the Mets, Bruce, 30, is batting .235 with 21 HR, 17 doubles and 55 RBI, while accumulating 0.9 WAR.

He started six games at first base this season, but has continued to mostly play left field.

Meanwhile, Walker, who was acquired after the 2015 season, had season-ending back surgery last September. He was a free agent after last season, but accepted the team's $17.2 million qualifying offer for 2017. In late February, reports surfaced indicating he and the Mets were close to agreeing to a contract extension, but talks ended with both sides agreeing to revisit their discussions when the season ends.

"There is no other place that I'd want to be," he said in February, when asked about returning to the Mets beyond 2017. However, "I'm going to have hopefully a lot of options. So, we'll see," he added earlier this week, according to Newsday.

Walker (20) gets ready to take batting practice at Tradition Field during March, 2017 (USA Today Images)

In 166 games since being acquired by the Mets, Walker, 31, is batting .276 with 30 HR, 22 doubles and 86 RBI, while accumulating 3.0 WAR.

He has only played second base, but has repeatedly said he's willing to play third and first base.

In Bruce and Walker, the Mets have two veteran players who know the city, appear comfortable in it, and have demonstrated the unique ability to smile and connect with media and fans and motivate teammates all while producing on field. This, as you know, is rare, especially when put on guys coming in from out of town. It's a big reason why the Mets pushed so hard to sign Granderson four years ago, because -- after what they went through with Jason Bay -- it was important to have someone that needed no time transitioning to life playing in New York.

Bruce and Walker, and Duda, know what to expect here and how to handle it. And, if the Mets truly see having only a two- or three-year window here to win with Matt Harvey, Noah Syndergaard, Jacob deGrom, Steven Matz and Zack Wheeler, they cannot afford to bring in new free-agent position players who may or may not adapt to what can become a cruel and crazy sports environment.

The point is, for Alderson and his staff, it's not as easy as saying, 'Are we buyers or sellers,' because there's a lot more to consider, especially as it pertains to replacing talent and continuing to contend the next few seasons.

That said, given the team's record, I hope Alderson and Company have started the process of at least thinking about their plan this summer, because it's going to be here before we know it...

Matthew Cerrone (Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Contact) is the host of SNY's MetsBlog 

#13 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,063 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

Yeah, I read that this morning.

Matt, shut up already.

#14 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:19 PM

Matt Cerrone was suggesting in an article today that the Mets should entertain offers for Smith. How ridiculous is that?

Matt Cerrone...suggesting...ridiculous...

why do those 3 concepts usually run together

#15 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, I read that this morning.

Matt, shut up already.

Matt does a good job "sharing" the work of others...

Matt does a shit job of sharing his own random thoughts (or should I just call it his lunatic fringe)

• West Coast Mets Fan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users