Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Mets 2017 - Sellers or Buyers?

#Mets2017 Trade Trade Deadline Seller Buyer

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#91 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

NL East Notes: Asdrubal

:mlbtr: by MARK POLISHUK

The Mets are receiving more trade interest in Asdrubal Cabrera, Newsday’s Marc Carig reports.  Cabrera received some buzz prior to the deadline (with the Indians and Red Sox mentioned as two of the interested teams) though there haven’t been many rumblings about him yet this month.  The veteran infielder has shown additional versatility by playing second and third base almost exclusively over the last two months after beginning the year as New York’s everyday shortstop.  MLBTR’s Steve Adams listed Cabrera first in his recent ranking of the Top 25 August Trade Candidates.

:source:

#92 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

I know I've mentioned it previously, but I still feel an acquisition of Andrew McCutchen and Josh Harrison would be ideal in the offseason. Pirates will pick up McCutchen's option in 2018 which is $14.5 million, well worth his production value. Mets can immediately insert him into everyday CF, where he can give us solid defense and a middle of the order threat with Cespedes and Conforto. Harrison can play 2B/3B/LF/RF and is due $10.25 million, $10.5 million, and $11.5 million in 2018, 2019, and 2020 respectively. Even if Harrison doesn't start at 3B or 2B everyday, he still has that flexibility that the Mets could use going forward. Either trade Asdrubal Cabrera now or buy him out in the offseason to save $6 million. This would add $24.75 million to the 2018 payroll, leaving the Mets with roughly $35-45 million to spend elsewhere in the offseason (e.g. Catcher, SP, RP, 3B).

C - d'Arnaud/Plawecki battle (again)

1B - Smith

2B - Harrison/Rivera/Flores

SS - Rosario

3B - Harrison/Rivera/Wright (doubtful)

LF - Cespedes

CF - McCutchen

RF - Conforto

The major question is who would we need to give up to make this deal happen. I'm convinced that we could retain all our pitchers, but may need to move 2-3 of these guys: d'Arnaud, Plawecki, Marcos Molina, David Peterson, Lagares, Flores, etc.

2018 is the year and the front office needs to act like it this offseason.

#93 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

No thank you.

I would personally rather save the assets.

Lorenzo Cain for center field. Free agent. Only costs money, which we have coming off the books.

Sign Mike Moustakas. See reason above.

Use a limited amount of previously mentioned assets to obtain Dee Gordon.

Sign Addison Reed back.

Trading for Cutch and Harrison would gut the farm, as they are considered vital, almost face-of-the-team types (at least in McCutchen's case), and those cost an arm and a leg.

#94 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

Jeff,  you may be under stating the package that the Pirates would need to make that trade.   Last off season the Nats gave up two consensus top 50 pitchers ( Rey Lopez - L Giolito) and a low minors promising pitcher for Adam Eaton.   Eaton is a nice player, but not McCutchen.  

Then there is Harrison who just made his 2nd AS game and is signed for 3 more years at 32 M with low cost buy outs in years 2 and 3.   Plays  above avg. 2B and 3B and doesn't hurt the team playing the OF corners.  

Of 140 players with 400 PA his WAR of 3.1 ranks 43.  Hits for average, steals bases, plays multiple positions, he won't go cheap either.   

#95 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:17 AM

@NedStarksKin Gutting the farm? Do we even have an untouchable in our farm? Listen, at the end of the day, its all about winning. The reason we haven't won in 31 years may be because we never do what's in the best interest of the team in any given season. Forget about building for the future...the time is now. I'm not saying to trade Conforto, Rosario, Smith, Syndergaard, or deGrom here...Another thing to keep in mind is that 2019 may go down as the best free agent class ever: Altuve, Murphy, LeMahieu, Donaldson, Machado, Blackmon, Adam Jones, Harper, Kershaw (if he opts out), Keuchel, Brad Brach, Kelvin Herrera, David Robertson, Zach Britton, etc. There are a ton of guys listed there that would be great fits for the Mets in 2019 and beyond. So yes, I do think it would be smarter to save our money to spend in 2019. 

@yogi Pirates may ask a lot, but at the same time, they are a small market team with an outfield that is becoming crowded. Unless they feel they can extend McCutchen, I don't see why they wouldn't push to trade him for younger talent that helps them elsewhere. Harrison is also great. Listen, I'm not saying we have the package that gets it done, but Alderson definitely should get on the phone with them. If it costs a Wilmer Flores or Zack Wheeler, I think it makes a ton of sense. 

#96 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

Pirates may ask a lot, but at the same time, they are a small market team with an outfield that is becoming crowded. Unless they feel they can extend McCutchen, I don't see why they wouldn't push to trade him for younger talent that helps them elsewhere. Harrison is also great. Listen, I'm not saying we have the package that gets it done, but Alderson definitely should get on the phone with them. If it costs a Wilmer Flores or Zack Wheeler, I think it makes a ton of sense. 

Jeff, If the Pirates put Cutch and Harrison on the block....how many other teams would be involved?    Teams that need just a piece would be in play, as well as teams, like the Mets with multiple holes to fill.   The Pirates are that far from the Mets in status, they played half a season without Marte and they never got the Korean player a visa and lost him totally.  They have a young starting rotation with a future.

They also have a number of players right on the brink of being ML ready which give them a sustainable lineup as well as pieces to fill immediate needs. 

Cutch and Harrison could be available for the right package, but Flores and Wheeler doesn't begin to move the needle

• brian stark and West Coast Mets Fan like this

#97 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

All I'm saying is that we should at least be in talks for a package like that. If the ask is too expensive, so be it. 

But most of the time, it's more beneficial to trade for talent then to dish out a poor long term contract. I'm not against locking up a Moustakas for 6 years $120 million or Lorenzo Cain for 4 years $90 million, but it's definitely a riskier endeavor. Prospects are hit or miss. 

#98 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

The last time we traded for a major player it cost us Fulmer for a rental.  Cespedes was a major contributor to that seasons post season, but so were Conforto, Murphy, Duda, Granderson and T d'A.  

The alternative of FA is the steep cost based upon the players achievements while under control of another team at a much lower cost.  If the contract is long enough and expensive enough the outcome is most likely a burden at the best to crippling.   Johan, Bay, DW and imo Cespedes.   Two seasons into two contracts with Cespedes have resulted in injuries, lackluster play, a thriving for celebrity status with his bling, cars and arm sleeves and a me first attitude...evidenced by playing golf while being day to day with a quad injury and again playing golf prior to game 4 of the NLCS, a game he left in the 2nd inning with a sore shoulder.   Cespedes hit .150/.143/.150/.293 in the WS.  2016 was a second late season disappearing act.  

Moustakas for 6 seasons scares me, he will be 29 next month and as never been the consistent player that reduces the risk  associated  with a contract of that length and cost.   A career BA/OPS of .252/.733 suggests a career year and that is a poor reason to back up the armored truck.

To my thinking Todd Frazier, older but likely available on a shorter less costly contract is the safer bet.   Coming off a down year, but has a history of consistency, has power and a better defender.  4 seasons at 55-60M is not the  budget threat of Moustakas.

The Mets MiL chips would be attractive to a team in the early stages of a rebuild, but I really don't believe we have the chips to engage the Pirates.   Maybe the Giants are the next to rebuild.  An old team top heavy in committed contracts;  Cueto, Posey, Samardzia, Crawford, Belt and Melancor are signed for 112 M for the next 4 years.  Then there is also Pence owed 18.5 next season and a very attractive Bumgarden at 12M each for 2 more seasons. 

A Giant team last in Hrs. and 13 in runs this season with a pitching staff  11th in runs and 15th in Sv.

#99 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:00 PM

I think the Pirates would be more willing to do a deal to get younger faster than the Giants would. Remember, the Giants were thought to be a postseason team this year just like the Mets. And they are built to get right back to the postseason if they make 2-3 upgrades just like us. 

#100 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Getting back to the playoffs for the Giants is going to be a major undertaking.   The Dodgers, Dbacks and Rockies are all better staffed to reign over the NLW, and the Pods have played .500 ball for the last 9 weeks.  

Giants are in a tough division, an older team and had an opening day payroll of 181M.   Not promising.

Pirates lost Marte for half a season, but the pitching staff is marginally in the top half of the NL.   Cubs are the class of the NLC, but the Pirates are toe to toe with the Cards, Brewers and Reds.

#101 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

I'm not a fan of Frazier.

He's got power, but far too swing and miss for my personal taste.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #Mets2017, Trade, Trade Deadline, Seller, Buyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users