Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

2018 Mets - Do Mets Get Bruce Back?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 Saxon

• Members
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

I agree that we need a bonafide center fielder, even if it's just a LH'd hitting platoon guy to go along Lagares...this playing with 3 corner OFer situation has not helped the pitchers out...yeah the media likes to rag on the infield for their lack of range, but the OF covers no ground and the catcher is a liability as well

• brian stark likes this

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

i agree with you gents.  As I said, I'm against this, but sharing what I've heard a couple fans call in about.

#18 Canada Mets Fan

Canada Mets Fan

Mets AAA Ball Player

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

Fang, I think the Marlins are looking to dump any long term salary commitments as the team is supposedly very close to being sold. I've read that Stanton is also on the block as he has 4 seasons left at a total price of $91M before he can opt out. For the right price I'd trade for Gordon. He's not a superstar but seems to have a skillset that this team is lacking in many places.

As for Lucroy, would have to be a short term low risk deal. This is his walk year and he's struggling mightily and is on the wrong side of 30 for a catcher. Those big deals for players over 30 for what they've done in the past are over.

I'd be cautious over Pearce, have seen him with the Jays this year and he's slow and a terrible fielder. Granted, that's in LF and he only has one year left at $6.25M. Maybe he'd be better at 1st.

I have always liked Cain, aside from back in the WS. That bastard was the start of the Game 5 9th inning unraveling with his extended AB and walk. But again, a skillset that is missing from the Mets. I'd like Moustakas at the right price and term, he has a body that looks like it might not age well.

Liriano would have to come cheap. Again, I've watched him a lot over the past season plus with the Jays and one game he can be electric, the next he's out after 3 innings, having walked 5. He's finishing up his last season at $13M, don't think he sees that money again.

NO, NO, NO on Clippard. Was unreliable when we had him, and hasn't improved since. Gregerson is more of a slop ball pitcher, throwing mostly sliders, etc. Having a down year for the Astros. The other relievers mentioned...meh.

Just my two cents.

• brian stark likes this

#19 jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

There is a lot of volatility surrounding the relief pitcher role. I'm not saying dish out big deals to these bullpen arms - just some names that we should consider. At the end of the day, its such a crap shoot. We got lucky with Addison Reed and Fernando Salas the past few years when we acquired them. At the end of the day, it might just make sense to develop relief pitchers within - Smoker, Sewald, Bradford, Gsellman, etc. The Neil Ramirez experiment has sucked...

#20 brian stark

brian stark

• Members
  • 11,142 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

I had not thought about Gordon, but if the price was right (the aforementioned deGrom/Matz plus is a non-starter in my book), I'd be all for it.

But then, ALSO go after Cain and Moustakas in the offseason.

That would limit the pressure to get a new catcher, if we upgraded in three areas (2B/3B/CF) with the other expected changes at SS and 1B. Putting Ces and Conforto in their proper positions with no outfielder extending himself to play a spot he is not suited for, and strengthen the bench (Lagares/Nimmo as the 4/5 OF, Rivera/Flores as backup infielders depending on how the Gordon acquisition played out).

Again, depending on cost, that would be three moves that I could get REALLY excited about.

• yogib8 and Canada Mets Fan like this

#21 Canada Mets Fan

Canada Mets Fan

Mets AAA Ball Player

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

Brian, are you potentially thinking an IF of Moustakas, Rosario, Gordon and Smith?

#22 yogib8

• Members
  • 4,660 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Well thought out brian,  finally some legit speed at the top of the lineup  and T d'A has shown some improvement defensively.  Replacing him becomes less of a priority and the bench is better than we've seen in a number of years. 

There are six teams with a winning record and they all are positioned for the post season, the other nine are under .500 ball.  The Mets are 10.5 games behind the Rockies, were the Rockies to play .500 ball for the remainder of the season the Mets would need to play .650 ball to tie them.  The Mets would also need the other 5 teams, Cards, Cubs, Braves, Marlins and Pirates to continue to shuffle along.

The Mets have 76 games left; the good news is that 43 of them are against the Reds, Marlins, Mariners, A's, Phillies, Rangers, Pods and Braves.  All teams that the Mets could play .650 ball against. 

The bucket of ice water to the face is the 33 games against the Rockies, Cards, Dodgers, DBacks, Nats, Astros, Cubs and Yankees.   Playing .650 ball for 33 games against that lineup is not happening without heavenly intervention and it would seem that heaven is not happy with the Mets of late.  

Let the rebuild begin.

#23 brian stark

brian stark

• Members
  • 11,142 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

The thing is, it would not need to be a full rebuild.

Those three moves, with the annual need to tinker with the bullpen, would really solidify the whole roster.

ASSUMING that those three deals could be made:

Infield would be set, and better defensively:

Smith/Gordon/Rosario/Moustakas/d'A-Rivera with TJ And Flores as your backups

Outfield would be set, and damn good:

Conforto/Cain/Cespedes with Nimmo and Lagares as your backups.

That's a pretty damn good lineup/active roster. If you tell me RIGHT NOW that we go into 2018 with that group, I'd sign on in a hot minute.

Would that get done? Can we get Gordon? Would Cain and Moose be interested in coming to NYC? Will there be enough to address the pen? Can the starting pitching catch a freaking health break?

Those are the big questions.

I just hate that we are in the position to begin thinking about 2018 at the All Star break of 2017, but the Cubs/White Sox trade today shows that it might be wise to strike while the irons are hot on the trade front.

#24 Canada Mets Fan

Canada Mets Fan

Mets AAA Ball Player

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:25 PM

I would take those moves as well, but wouldn't Sandy's head explode if the team picked up players with speed, defensive ability and high BAs???? Not just plodding players who look to walk or swing from the heels.

#25 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Tried to upload a GIF and it didn't work. :(

#26 sg34Thor

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationThe Big Apple, USA, NA, Earth

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

Step one COMPLETE...Lucas Dudu OUT

Next...Grandyman and Reyes follow him out the door.

Rosario SS..Smith 1B ..positions solved

IF Smith, Walker, Rosario, TJ

OF Yo, Conforto and Bruce ..

Util OF Lagares
Util IF Flores Cabrera if he can't be moved

C we ain't got one

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

Don't be surprised to see Reyes on the team for the rest of the year.  Grandy too if they can't trade him (though hoping they do).  Hoping they move Bruce - not sure how he's not drawing more interest.

TJ just went on the DL with a UCL tear

#28 Saxon

• Members
  • 9,039 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

Before Reed is traded away (which I think that the Ramos deal pretty much eliminates any doubt):

Reed as a Met:

2.09 ERA;

1.014 WHIP;

only 24 walks and 11 HRs in 145 Appearances;

almost 10 K's per 9 innings; and a 6.5 K:BB ratio;

considering Reed's numbers as a White Sok and a D'Back, those are great numbers...and when you look at how bad the Mets bullpen has been in terms of walks and homeruns allowed, that is great...

and unlike Jonathon Niese, who blamed the Mets infield for his pitching (he gave up a ton of Unearned Runs, 62 Unearned Runs as a Met);

Reed has only allowed 1 Unearned Run in his entire time as a Met, and only 6 Unearned runs in his entire career.

Reed has quietly done a very professional job...

#29 jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

We will end up trading Reed, Granderson, Cabrera, and Walker (likely in August on waivers when he's proven he's healthy). 

I expect Bruce will stick around through end of the year, unless Sandy gets an offer he can't refuse. He will extend the QO, Bruce rejects to get a shot at a big contract in FA, and Mets get Comp Pick. 

In offseason, I'd love to see Mets try to bring back Addison Reed (a la Yankees w/ Chapman) on a short term deal in a set-up role. Don't think any team will give Reed closer money, but stranger things have happened. 

Starting rotation should look similar to what it's been (hopefully healthier). Alderson should bring in some veterans to compete for back end of the rotation.

2018 Roster looks like this:

C      d'Arnaud/Plawecki (play the hotter hitter)

1B    Smith

2B    (insert acquisition here)/TJ Rivera

SS    Rosario

3B    (insert FA signing here)

LF     Cespedes

CF    (insert FA signing here)

RF     Conforto

Util    d'Arnaud/Plawecki

Util    Flores (if not traded)

Util    TJ Rivera

Util    Nimmo (if not traded)

Util    Lagares (if not traded)

SP    Syndergaard

SP    deGrom

SP    Harvey

SP    Wheeler

SP    Matz

CL    Familia    

RP    Reed (if signed)/(insert FA signing)

RP    Ramos

RP    Salas (if signed)/(insert FA signing)

RP    Edgin/Smoker

RP    Robles/Sewald

• yogib8 likes this

#30 brian stark

brian stark

• Members
  • 11,142 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

Comp pick rules have changed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #Mets2018

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users