Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Mets Manager 2018 - Mickey Callaway

#Mets2018 Mickey Callaway Manager

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#76 sg34Thor

sg34Thor

Draftee

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationThe Big Apple, USA, NA, Earth

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

Gardenhire reportedly hired by Tigers

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#77 LGNYM

LGNYM

Draftee

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:49 PM

I woudn't mind Long or Acta.

Hard to really know much about the candidates - especially Long who hasn't managed at the MLB level.   But it sounds like they are both pretty stat savy  - any relatively well liked personally

#78 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

thing with the "needs experience" thingy is...experienced also means that they have already failed and got fired at least once...sports is one of the few jobs where a potential employer tends to favor people that keep getting fired over fresh hires...

#79 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

Sure, look at Billy Martin who was fired by the Twins after winning 97 games.  Fired by the Tigers after winning the div. the previous season and carrying a winning record  when fired.  Fired by the Rangers, fired by the A's and fired by the Yankees 4 times, each time with a winning record and once a year after winning a WS. 

The guy was a belligerent drunk, but kept getting chance after chance. 

Torre managed three team over 14 years never won a single post season game, the next 12 years were with the Yankees.  Made the post season all 12 seasons won 76 games, 6 pennants and 4 WS. 

Stengel spent 9 seasons managing the Braves and Dodgers, never finishing better than 5th.  Hired by the Yankees he won 10 pennants and 7 WS in 12 seasons and followed that by managing the Mets to a .302 winning % in 3 plus seasons.

Valentine managed the Rangers for 8 seasons and never set foot in the post season.  Managed the Mets 7 seasons and made two trips to October...the only trips of his 16 year managing career.

If a manager is not terminally stupid or self destructive, the success he has is dependent on the GM.  Every manager slips up, like (?) Hinch using his closer last night or Girardi pulling Severino with a 62 PC in game 2 because he scratched his ass or his failing to use a challenge of the inning ending foul tip which was called a bases loading HBP that evolved into a GS HR.  

#80 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:48 PM

Valentine wasn't a genius, he simply rode Mike Piazza's shirt tail

#81 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,810 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

Report: Mets to Offer Managerial Job to Mickey Callaway

:metsblog:

Callaway has been the pitching coach for the Indians since 2013

The Mets will offer their managerial job to Indians pitching coach Mickey Callaway, with the deal expected to be finalized on Sunday, reports Joel Sherman of the NY Post.

Callway's deal with the Mets, once finalized, will be for three years, reports Jon Heyman of FanRag.

Mets hitting coach Kevin Long, White Sox bench coach Joe McEwing, and Mariners third base coach Manny Acta have been informed that they are out of the running, according to multiple reports.

It was reported on Friday that Long and Acta were the frontrunners for the job, with the Mets expected to announce their new manager before the start of the World Series, which is this Tuesday.

Aside from Long, McEwing, and Acta, the Mets also interviewed Alex Cora (who is expected to be hired as the Red Sox' new manager), and Callaway.

It was also reported that the Mets may have still be considering Sandy Alomar, Jr. (Puma, NYP). Brad Ausmus declined to interview (Heyman, FanRag) and Bob Geren, Robin Ventura, and Chip Hale were never serious candidates.

:metsdivider:

cerronecircleavatar_uge4a1mm.png
Matthew Cerrone

"Callaway absolutely will be someone's manager sooner than later," a rival GM told me early last week. "He has the experience and qualities to be the next Joe Maddon, and the smart people in baseball know it."

If this is true, it's a terrific hire. I also hear Callaway has a terrific personality, is affable, upbeat, and brings with him a positive, infectious energy. But, don't let the smile and jokes fool you. He's described as super smart, cut from the mold of a Theo Epstein-Brian Cashman generation of leaders in baseball. 

Having not interviewed these people, and only having second-hand information and my instincts, I think would have hired Kevin Long over Callaway, but only because of his experience operating in and dealing with everything that comes with coaching in New York. That said, there is a flip side to that, which is knowing too much, becoming paranoid and letting that dictate the manager's actions, which is exactly what happened to Willie Randolph.

Thankfully, everyone I talked to last week (that is familiar with him) said Callaway absolutely has the temperament, organizational skills, confidence, and social- and self-awareness to navigate managing a team in New York City, Boston, Wichita, or anywhere else.

"He'll be fine," an American League coach told me. "He's charming enough, and aware of everything going on around him in a way that I don't think he'll ever be caught off guard or manipulated."

:source:

#82 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:20 PM

The Callaway line - from worst to first
The Cleveland Indians pitching staff went from the worst to the best in the American League after Mickey Callaway became pitching coach in 2013. 
Here's how it ranked among the league's 15 teams in various measures from year to year.
Rank	ERA	Fewest runs allowed	Fewest hits allowed	Fewest home runs allowed	Fewest walks	Most strikeouts
2012	15	15	                 13	                 9	                           14	        14
2013	7	7	                  3	                 2	                           14	         2
2014	6	7	                  8	                 4	                            7	         1
2015	2	2	                  1	                 3	                            4	         1
2016	2	2	                  1	                 8	                            4	         1
2017	1	1	                  2	                 1	                            1	         1
Source: Baseball-reference.com, Dave Sheingold/staff data analysis

https://infogram.com...7f-a1ff1353669d

#83 sg34Thor

sg34Thor

Draftee

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationThe Big Apple, USA, NA, Earth

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

Been hoping they would hire Calloway for awhile, so I am very happy with the choice

Young, a pitching guru who be able to bond with the young core of Thor, Jake and maybe even be able to get Harvey to do what he wants and not what Scott Boros wants.

Like the choice

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#84 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:45 PM

the thing with Harvey, is that I don't think that there is anything wrong with his arm/body anymore...he had plenty of velocity and movement...he just needs to get his head back on straight and have that bulldog mentality come back to him on the mound...plus after having a solid frame earlier in his career, he looked manorexic this season...

if you go back and watch game 6 inning 7 of the ALCS...what Verlander was dealing was very similar to what I was seeing from Harvey throwing this season...89 mph sliders, 95 mph fastballs, but he let the control get away from him a bit...walking the first guy, dinging the 2nd guy on the arm, and then falling behind 3-0 to the 3rd batter...in this situation, Harvey would have had that "what can I do" look on his face...Verlander kind of had that at first as well; then he fired a 95 mph fastball right down broadway, then nipped a low and away 95 mph fastball on the corner...then proceeded to battle thru a 10 pitch at bat; finally getting a strikeout on a slider...then Frazier smoked a ball to the CF wall, and then a weak groundout to Altuve in the shift to end the inning unscathed...

Matt Harvey the bulldog could have gotten similar results...the woe is me Matt Harvey that the media has beaten the shit out of since his first injury, would have given up 6 runs in that inning...

as a wise man once said: 

Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.
Read more at: https://www.brainyqu...erra162048.html

#85 thomasam

thomasam

Mets AAA Ball Player

• Members
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationHoboken, NJ/ New York, NY

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

I was initially skeptical about hiring a pitching coach as manager, but I'm liking Callaway right away.  He seems to have the right temperament, and obviously keeping this pitching staff humming is the key to winning here.  We need someone who knows the right buttons to push and how to best treat arms.  

It'll be great to have a new voice, especially one from an organization that's had so much success lately.

#86 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:55 PM

Cerrone quoted an "anonymous source" that Callaway is a miracle worker with pitchers.

That is heartening...

#87 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

Tomas, have you ever met a Mets exec you didn't like?  :)

You're always sooooo positive :p

#88 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:50 PM

I was initially skeptical about hiring a pitching coach as manager, but I'm liking Callaway right away.  He seems to have the right temperament, and obviously keeping this pitching staff humming is the key to winning here.  We need someone who knows the right buttons to push and how to best treat arms.  

It'll be great to have a new voice, especially one from an organization that's had so much success lately.

I read somewhere that Sandy was also the guy that initially interviewed/hired Bud Black as a manager...not saying that was necessarily a good or bad move, just that it wasn't the first time that Sandy went with a pitcher/PC for a managerial choice over someone with more management experience

#89 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:53 PM

Tomas, have you ever met a Mets exec you didn't like?  :)

You're always sooooo positive :p

I am usually optimistic during the off season as well...it's the real season that brings me down...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #Mets2018, Mickey Callaway, Manager

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users