Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

David Wright - His Comeback Has Finally Started

#MetsS8 #Mets2017 David Wright Injury

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

If he is unaccepting of the place in his life that everyone here has conceded is the case, then the Mets need to be prepared to protect their business.  Is this a cold way to look at things?  No doubt.  But again, this is business, and we're talking about a significant portion of the budget. 

The thing is if he doesn't accept his place in life as you suggest the only thing they can protect is a roster spot because if they release him they still have to pay him and that doesn't help the budget by one red cent. While it may make sense from a business perspective to release him from a P/R standpoint it would be a disaster. The media will fry Sandy and the Wilpons for doing it. And then you probably have lost Wright as an ambassador or possible future coach. 

It has been fun to watch the Fang/mjjm debate unfold but this is not an easy situation by any means.

#32 LGNYM

LGNYM

Draftee

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:07 PM

I will respond one more time haha. Yes it is a business. But David is a part of that business too. And thankfully he’s in a business with a strong labor union where employees have a lot power and where guaranteed contracts exist. He’s under no obligation to walk away from that money. Just the same as the Mets weren’t forced to pay all their players big year end bonuses when they outproduced their salaries. And we’ve mostly been taking about the “Prince Fielder route” where he’d be declared medically unable to play and stop trying to return but get paid - thatd still have an impact on ~10% of the (too low) budget too.
  • mjjm367 likes this

#33 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

About a quarter million words ago brian said he had flipped 2-3 times as he read the comments of mjjm and FANG.   I was of one mind as I read through the numerous posts including the addition of LGNYM thoughts.

I agree with mjjm and LGNYM.  David Wright is different than Prince Fielder who was with the Rangers for 3 seasons before he was totally unable to play, and the Rangers were his third team.   Mo Vaughn, like Fielder went gently into retirement with insurance easing the payroll hit.

DW was a 1st round draft pick, Captain of the team and one the few iconic Mets; ie. Seaver, what Straw and Doc might have been and maybe Piazza.  That is a very short list for an organization with a 56 year history.  He also has a relationship with Fred Wilpon that is bordering family. 

Like Chris Mullen, DW is a gym rat and I don't believe that Fred Wilpon would ever suggest he take the insurance and walk away.

• West Coast Mets Fan likes this

#34 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

About a quarter million words ago...

Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes.
Five hundred twenty five thousand moments so dear.
five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes.
How do you measure,
Measure a post?

#35 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,782 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

How do you measure,
Measure a post?

By the civil discourse with which it has been done. This is one of the best on this forum, based on the topic and the emotions it raises because it has been done civilly throughout

#36 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

I will respond one more time haha. Yes it is a business. But David is a part of that business too. And thankfully he’s in a business with a strong labor union where employees have a lot power and where guaranteed contracts exist. He’s under no obligation to walk away from that money. Just the same as the Mets weren’t forced to pay all their players big year end bonuses when they outproduced their salaries. And we’ve mostly been taking about the “Prince Fielder route” where he’d be declared medically unable to play and stop trying to return but get paid - thatd still have an impact on ~10% of the (too low) budget too.

That is a kick ass return of serve!!!!!!  Nicely done.

#37 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:33 PM

oh, and for good measure.  You're both a bunch of poopyheads!  

Phew!  Names have now been called, so the board can go back to how it was!

I love when you talk dirty to me.... :buddies: 

Fang, LGNYM & all - one of the most enjoyable discussions I have been a part of here.  Thank you.

#38 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

Fang, LGNYM & all - one of the most enjoyable discussions I have been a part of here.  Thank you.

A kumbaya moment.......good for us.

#39 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,847 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

A kumbaya moment.......good for us.

You had to tell everybody, didn't you.  You said you would keep it a secret.

OK, yes, I'll admit it.  I had kumbaya. 

But the ointment yogi prescribed cleared it up.  The itch is completely gone, and I can sit properly for the first time in weeks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users