Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

David Wright - The Comeback That Never Happen

#MetsS8 #Mets2017 David Wright Injury

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,298 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

David Wright Begins Rehab Assignment

:mlbtr: by JEFF TODD

Mets third baseman David Wright will begin a rehab assignment this evening, per a club announcement. He is in the lineup as the DH for the organization’s High-A affiliate.

A succession of shoulder, neck, and back injuries have conspired to limit the 34-year-old in recent years. Wright has yet to play this year and has appeared in only 75 games since the start of the 2015 campaign.

While it’s promising to see the initiation of a rehab assignment, there’s still vast uncertainty surrounding the former All-Star. For one thing, the bigger hurdle will come when Wright attempts to play the field; after all, throwing issues thwarted his progress this spring. For another, Wright will need to show that he can not only get healthy but stay that way, as each of his prior attempts at returning have ended with yet more maladies.

:source:

#2 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

David Wright to undergo surgery to repair injured rotator cuff

Mets third baseman David Wright will undergo surgery Tuesday to repair his injured right rotator cuff, the team announced. 

He played three games for Class-A St. Lucie in a rehab stint earlier in August as he looked to return from a shoulder impingement that has kept him out since Spring Training. After experiencing more pain in his shoulder, Wright terminated the rehab. 

The 34-year-old has been limited to 75 games over the past three seasons. He missed 124 games in 2015 due to lumbar spinal stenosis -- a condition in his lower back that he will forever need to monitor.

Earlier this month, a source told Mike Puma of the New York Post  that Wright was not considering retirement. He is under contract for the next three seasons.

He also played in just 37 games last season due to a herniated disc in his upper spine, which led to corrective surgery and the current pain in his shoulder. 

https://www.sny.tv/m...-cuff/252333736

#3 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

is this "rotator cuff surgery" a "new" injury? or is it just the same rag-arm problem that he's been dealing with for awhile (choosing rehab, over fixing the damn thing)?

DW hasn't had a semi-decent throwing arm since we've moved into Citi Field...maybe his rotator cuff has been the problem all along (in relationship to his lame throws, no power and always being late on swings up in the strikezone)?

#4 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

I just can't believe he's still planning on fighting his way back even after this. At what point is he going to call it quits and move on?

#5 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:18 PM

I just can't believe he's still planning on fighting his way back even after this. At what point is he going to call it quits and move on?

David will get his money either way.  As Ron Darling said during Monday's game "This is the best thing that we will do in our lives."  Just because a player has made it, doesn't mean he is ready to stop living his dream.

If I were in David's shoes (I'd be arrested for stalking?) ​I wouldn't give up until I had no choice as well.

#6 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

true enough...and where else can he get all these free surgeries and rehab gyms with professional trainers at his beckon call

#7 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 11:12 AM

I just read that Prince Fielder has been released by the Rangers after he announced he will no longer play after undergoing neck surgery. The Rangers then negotiated a settlement with the insurance company for the remainder of Fielder's contract. 

https://www.mlbtrade...ce-fielder.html

While I hate to see him go out this way I wonder if we will see the same thing happen with David Wright. The media reported that the Mets brass wanted to sit down with David after the season was over to discuss his future.

David is a class act and should not have had what looked like a Hall of Fame career ravaged by injuries.

#8 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 12:01 PM

The question becomes will David agree to this?  Fielder was never the "athlete" Wright was and battled healthiness/size his entire career, so I suspect (and this is purely speculation as I don't know the guy) that he had an easier time walking away than the uber competitive Wright.

That said, Wright missed this entire season and has played 75 games in the past three seasons combined.  He may be in tune to the teams pleas for compassion as he is handcuffing them with the inevitable "what if " roster spot...

They should talk about insurance settlement and for the balance turning him into one of those coaching spots that needs to get filled following the purge ;)

#9 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

If David can not return, insurance pays 75% of each year's salary.  David only occupies a 40 man roster spot during the off-season.  Once the season starts, David can be moved to the 60 day DL, freeing up that spot.  Worst case scenario, we have one less spot each off season to protect a minor league player from the Rule 5 draft.

His remaining salary breakdown, before insurance...

2018 - $20M 

2019 - $15M 

2020 - $12M 

#10 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

If David can not return, insurance pays 75% of each year's salary.  David only occupies a 40 man roster spot during the off-season.  Once the season starts, David can be moved to the 60 day DL, freeing up that spot.  Worst case scenario, we have one less spot each off season to protect a minor league player from the Rule 5 draft.

His remaining salary breakdown, before insurance...

2018 - $20M 

2019 - $15M 

2020 - $12M 

this is only true IF he can not make it out of ST.  If he makes it out of ST like 2015-2016, then he takes a spot on the 25, continues to hold a spot on the 40 man once he goes on the DL, until they finally move him to the 60 day.

As for the salary, I don't suggest he walk away from any part of it.  I think they come to an arrangement where he continues to collect it.  Insurance continues to pay the 75%.  And he stops trying to get back on the field, instead, using his time to help young players like Flores succeed and Smith to succeed.

#11 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

Can't just look at him and say "Give it up David".  (Obviously more diplomatically).  He has to reach that decision himself.  And has earned the right to.  And is willing to put the work in.  

That being said, I sincerely doubt he will ever be healthy enough to play again (sadly).  He had another back surgery today.

https://www.sny.tv/m...-back/257532352

To put it in a little bit of perspective.  I'm turning 60 in about 8 weeks.  Like every other person, I feel the gradual creep of age.  And that gradual creep, little by little, takes away what you were able to do 10, 20 and 30 years ago.  Baseball players playing "lifespan" is much shorter, and I have yet to see one who didn't scratch and claw for every last day.

Now add medical issues to that.  In my case, I have cardiac stents.  The one restriction that puts on me is the amount of weight I can lift.  My endurance is completely unaffected by that.  (My pot belly, on the other hand...)  But I used to do stuff like manhandle the couch, or one of the appliances by myself.  Now, I can't.  Well, I can, but I risk dislodging a stent.  (Damnit, what do you mean "I can't."  Bullshit!!!!  Watch me.)  ​Thankfully, at that point my wife would talk some sense into me.  A much harder task than you could imagine.  David's spinal issues and shoulder are his "stents".

David has been the best player on the field for his entire life growing up.  And even when he reached the majors, where everyone was the best player growing up, David was elite.  An All-Star.  Barring injuries, a Hall of Fame candidate.  Captain "Freakin" America.

I am very comfortable with letting a player who has earned my respect, one of the good guys, taking the time he needs to get OK with this.  As I'm sure we all are.

• West Coast Mets Fan, yogib8 and Canada Mets Fan like this

#12 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

MJJM, I agree with everything you say, BUT we are at that point where the Mets have given him the time to wrap his head around it.  They have been more than accommodating.  

3 years he's been working through this, with an accommodating Mets FO saving his spot on the field and never talking retirement.  In that time, Wright has had countless surgeries, rehabs, special programs, special stretching, extra schedule days off, no pinch hitting, no day/night games, etc etc etc.  Mets have been on board all the way.  After 3 years of 38, 37, 0 games respectively, you arrive at the point where everyone needs to sit down and have tough conversations.  

It's time for Wright to go off into the sunset with articles praising his talent and lamenting a terrible situation being written.  Keep this up for two more years, the tone of those articles are going to be VERY very different.  By the end, he won't be remembered fondly as captain america.  He's going to go down as the guy who drained the mets resources blocking their chances at a championship...

He has absolutely earned the time to fight through this and to the time to eventually come to terms, and the Mets have honored that.  Now its time to sit him down and say we feel you, we love you, we still want you here, but it can't be as a player...

• mjjm367, West Coast Mets Fan, Canada Mets Fan and 1 other like this

#13 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,814 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

The above was well written and sums up the situation pretty well. 

#14 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

Am I the only one that when I read "David Wright his comeback has finally started" on the header...first thing that comes to mind is "Charlie Brown is really going to kick the football before Lucy pulls it back"

#15 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

MJJM, I agree with everything you say, BUT we are at that point where the Mets have given him the time to wrap his head around it.  They have been more than accommodating.  

3 years he's been working through this, with an accommodating Mets FO saving his spot on the field and never talking retirement.  In that time, Wright has had countless surgeries, rehabs, special programs, special stretching, extra schedule days off, no pinch hitting, no day/night games, etc etc etc.  Mets have been on board all the way.  After 3 years of 38, 37, 0 games respectively, you arrive at the point where everyone needs to sit down and have tough conversations.  

It's time for Wright to go off into the sunset with articles praising his talent and lamenting a terrible situation being written.  Keep this up for two more years, the tone of those articles are going to be VERY very different.  By the end, he won't be remembered fondly as captain america.  He's going to go down as the guy who drained the mets resources blocking their chances at a championship...

He has absolutely earned the time to fight through this and to the time to eventually come to terms, and the Mets have honored that.  Now its time to sit him down and say we feel you, we love you, we still want you here, but it can't be as a player...

Extremely well written counterpoint Fang.

We all know, including the Mets, and even David, that he isn't coming back.  But the competitive part of an athlete that makes him elite, is the same part that means David has to "prove" to himself that he can't anymore.  He shouldn't because future articles about him may not be as nice??????

From the Mets point of view, they would be beyond foolish, deep into outright stupid territory, if they didn't proceed as if David is done.  But there is nothing wrong with them allowing him to try.  At best, he will be a bench player/platoon vs. LHP.

The one line I do take exception to (from a discussion point of view) is "He's going to go down as the guy who drained the Mets resources blocking their chances at a championship..." .  His contract is guaranteed.  2018 - $20M, 2019 - $15M, 2020 - $12M.

$47M over 3 years.  Really????

Here are some example of team killers...

Miguel Cabrera - $184M over 2018-2023, $30M, $30M, $30M, $30M, $32M, $32M

Albert Pujols - $114M over 2018-2021, $27M, $28M, $29M, $30M

Let's look at worst case financial scenario - David is able to play as a bench guy only, zero money collected by insurance. 

2018 he costs $20M.  2018, pitching is not yet expensive, Rosario, Smith, Conforto, Nimmo all inexpensive.

2019 he costs $15M.  Curtis Granderson 2017 money.

2020 he costs $12M.  Less than Jay Bruce 2017 money.

I am having trouble seeing a franchise killing contract here, even assuming worst case financial scenario.  And if David tries over the off season & Spring Training, and fails, it costs us one 40 man roster spot during the offseason, meaning that the last guy we would choose to protect from the Rule 5 draft is exposed.  Or maybe we outright someone like Robles or Gilmartin.

But if we don't win a championship, it's David's fault for "draining resources".

• brian stark and Canada Mets Fan like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users