Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hello All

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationPoughkeepsie, NY

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a die hard Mets fan (circa 1989) from Poughkeepsie, NY. Looking for a forum to discuss the team with fellow fans! Happy I found this place.  Looking forward to chatting with you all on the current train wreck and whatever lies ahead for next year.

#2 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a die hard Mets fan

I'm sorry to hear that.  ;)  We have many with a similar affliction here.

Welcome aboard.

#3 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

I'm sorry to hear that.  ;)  We have many with a similar affliction here.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks! And it certainly is an affliction!

#4 Canada Mets Fan

Canada Mets Fan

Mets AAA Ball Player

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to the land of the lost, aka, being a Mets fan.

Glad to have some new blood.

#5 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

Welcome to the land of the lost, aka, being a Mets fan.

Glad to have some new blood.

Thanks CMF.

#6 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

welcome aboard NYM5...guessing by the use of the number 5 in your username that you are a fan of Steve Henderson, Davey Johnson or another player that might have donned the number in days gone by?

http://ultimatemets.com/uninumbers.php

#7 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

welcome aboard NYM5...guessing by the use of the number 5 in your username that you are a fan of Steve Henderson, Davey Johnson or another player that might have donned the number in days gone by?

http://ultimatemets.com/uninumbers.php

Thanks Saxon.

In all honesty I first starting using the NYMet5 screename back in the AOL IM days as a nod to John Olerud.  The guy who wears it now aint too bad though either.

• Saxon likes this

#8 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

I was initially joking...since it seems that all current/recent Mets fans worship David Wright, I just assumed that it was for DW...but looking at the lists for the numbers, eventhough Wright/Reyes are the players most associated with 5 and 7; there have been some very worthy players (including them) that have worn those numbers...in the case of Reyes, Hubie Brooks immediately comes to mind for a pretty solid Met that wore the #7...

#9 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Funny, based on your opening post, I assumed you were younger than me, so I did a double take that a 8 year old would have a mets reference as their AOL name.  Makes more sense for a 18 year old :)  (Ages assumptions based on when I discovered AOL in ~1994)

#10 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

Funny, based on your opening post, I assumed you were younger than me, so I did a double take that a 8 year old would have a mets reference as their AOL name.  Makes more sense for a 18 year old :)  (Ages assumptions based on when I discovered AOL in ~1994)

Yeah, baseball skipped a generation in my family so I got into it a tad late.  My first season of fandom was 89 when I was 10-11.  So no championships for me yet.  But, I do know all too well the worst team money can buy, bleach incidents, the fizzle of 1998, Molina and Wainwright, the collapses of 07-08, the Ponzi's shoe string budgets - character building stuff.

#11 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

Congrats, you know about as much as I do as I was 4 when they won the WS, so needless to say, not too many memories of it...  

#12 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:42 AM

Congrats, you know about as much as I do as I was 4 when they won the WS, so needless to say, not too many memories of it...  

For those of us a wee bit older, which World Series win are you referring to?

#13 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:52 AM

86... considering he was born in 78 and myself 82 ;)

#14 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Sigh.

Sorry, I'm feeling my age I guess.  I was 11 for the first WS win.

Hitting 60 later this year.

Never forgot this - was in 5th or 6th grade, so I was around 10 years old.  Math teacher (hey, in 1st Grade it was still called Arithmetic) had a bonus question on a quiz.  "How old will you be when the century changes?"  The trick was that most just subtracted the birth year from 2000, meaning that you were a year off unless you were born on January 1st.  We probably all got it wrong.

Anyway, we were all amazed at how old we would be, and to us, that was in the distant future.  The big buzz around the classroom was "At least none of us besides the teacher would be 60, because that's oooooooold!!!!" .

:fbomb:, I'm there now.

Edit:  But still pretty!!!!

#15 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 8,926 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

kind of funny...I was also 4 when the Mets won the World Series, and the first men landed on the moon...yet, I remember both events very vividly...probably more vividly than where I put down my keys/phone tonight

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users