Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2017/18 Mets Hot Stove - The Winter Meeting

#MetsOffSeason Hot Stove 2017/18 Winter Meeting

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:35 PM

All the rumblings here....I just don't see much activity for this front office. I think they are going to relatively take a back seat early on - potentially do some small deals here and there. I'd be shocked if they pull off a notable trade before the holidays. 

#62 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

If you could realistically acquire one guy this offseason via free agency or trade, who would you want that to be?

I'd pick McCutchen. Curious to see who your guys would be.

#63 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationPoughkeepsie, NY

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:23 AM

Carlos Santana -

Likely can be had for 4 yrs or less

Remarkably consistent.

Has played 143 or more games 7 years in a row.

Hit 18 or more HR's 7 years in a row (high of 34).

Driven in 74 or more runs 7 years in a row.

OPS of .752 or higher every year of his career.

OPB of .351 or higher every year of career.

88 or more walks 7 years in a row.

Career .365 OBP and .810 OPS and has a good glove at 1B.

#64 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:31 AM

The signing of Santana would guarantee that Dom Smith then gets packaged in a deal. Not a terrible notion. I like that Santana is an all around player, but I think our available money could be served better at other positions. Plus, signing Santana would make Dom Smith look less attractive to teams who can then say to us "Well, if you don't believe in him, why should we?"

• yogib8 likes this

#65 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

The signing of Santana would guarantee that Dom Smith then gets packaged in a deal. Not a terrible notion. I like that Santana is an all around player, but I think our available money could be served better at other positions. Plus, signing Santana would make Dom Smith look less attractive to teams who can then say to us "Well, if you don't believe in him, why should we?"

Very true and good point.  This would be one of these in which Alderson would need to work these deals concurrently, or at least deal Smith first.  If Santana falls through there are a myriad of 1B options out there on short term deals.  It would suck if you lose Santana in that scenario as well as Smith but Alderson needs to take some risk to get a higher reward.  Risk aversion has hurt this team in the past.  If he had the money of other normal large market teams to spend it would be one thing but he doesnt. So I'd like to see him get creative and aggressive to get what he wants done.

#66 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Very true and good point.  This would be one of these in which Alderson would need to work these deals concurrently, or at least deal Smith first.  If Santana falls through there are a myriad of 1B options out there on short term deals.  It would suck if you lose Santana in that scenario as well as Smith but Alderson needs to take some risk to get a higher reward.  Risk aversion has hurt this team in the past.  If he had the money of other normal large market teams to spend it would be one thing but he doesnt. So I'd like to see him get creative and aggressive to get what he wants done.

I think Sandy can do it. He's made some wise moves in the past (ie. Niese for Walker, acquiring Ramos, acquiring Cespedes, etc.) The problem I've seen is after that great Dickey trade, he hasn't made other significant trades, besides Cespedes (and it's looking like Fulmer may be a big loss). Will he put together a good enough package to improve this roster via trade? I'm not so sure.

I will say, of the 6 relievers that he acquired in July and August last season, he better hit on at least 2 of them. Otherwise, that's pretty pathetic.

#67 West Coast Mets Fan

West Coast Mets Fan

Armchair Mgr

• Members
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

I was not impressed at all with Smith. He looked older than his age, he was slow around the bag and has holes in his swing. He obviously has a weight issue which he may or may not get over ( I am in the not corner). so I go after Santana., a proven bat in the middle of the order, he helps solidify the infield defense. He also comes from a winning culture, one that Callaway is wanting to create. What better way to do that then have a player that has already bought into what Callaway is trying to duplicate?

As for obtaining Santana negatively affecting Smith's value, Smith did that all by himself last September. If he didn't, we are not having this conversation. Other teams saw what he did, he doesn't have top prospect value anyhow in my opinion. If Sandy cannot move him you send him to AAA as insurance in the event that Santana gets hurt.

So my vote for the FA signing if you only have one. (It doesn't hurt that he shares the surname of one of my favorite guitarist!)

#68 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

I like your thinking.   Santana will be costly, figuring that he is only second to Hosmer in FA and I believe that the Royals will try to resign both Hosmer and Cain. 

The Royals have Melkey, Hosmer, Cain, J Vargas, Moustakas and Escobar entering FA, this frees 61.5 M plus 4 RPs free up another 9 M.  Melkey and Escobar had ignorable seasons and Vargas led a charmed life, plus 3 of the Royals top 10 are ready to advance SPs as well as Hunter Dozier as an OF/3B.

With the Indians on top of the ALC and the Twins advancing, it might be time for the Royals to take a step back and retool.

This scenario would push Santana to the top of FA 1Bs. 

Rather than trade Smith at a low value send his back to AAA and pickup a interim 1B like Mitch Moreland who earned 5.5 M with the RSox this season.  He hit .246/.326/.443/.769 with 22 Hrs and solid defense including a GG in 2016.  As a LHB he didn't have the friendly green wall to aim at and hit only 10 of his 22 at home but the larger RF benefited his slash line....267/.355/.466/.819. 

2 yrs at 8M @ should get him signed and provides protection from a barren 2019 1B class, it also gives Smith time to mature and earn the job.

#69 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

The player that I want is realistic...Tyler Chatwood.   27 years old with a 2016 salary of 4.4 M.  The home and away splits are to positive to ignore.

#70 NYMet5

NYMet5

Draftee

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

The player that I want is realistic...Tyler Chatwood.   27 years old with a 2016 salary of 4.4 M.  The home and away splits are to positive to ignore.

I really like Chatwood for the mid rotation starter too.  He probably has the highest ceiling of the mid tier costs guys on the FA market.

• yogib8 likes this

#71 jeffmetsfan

jeffmetsfan

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:18 PM

Yep, we need to be all over Chatwood. He's likely gonna get a good deal from someone who will pay him for his incredible away stats from Coors Field. I'm curious to see which team ends up landing him (hopefully the Mets).

• yogib8 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #MetsOffSeason, Hot Stove, 2017/18, Winter Meeting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users