Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Random Off-Season Thoughts: 2017/18

#MetsOffSeason

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#1 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:06 AM

Looking at Page One, I don't see this specific topic, so  I thought it was a good time to start it.

World Series is not even begun, but the discussion can start.

We need several areas to be addressed, as we all know.

Personally, I would say to focus on 3B, SP, and pen. Moustakas and Reed would be my targets.

Interestingly (and the reason I started this thread), the Braves just released R A Dickey outright.

He went 10-10 in 190 innings with a 4.26 ERA and a 1.36 WHIP while pitching half his games in that park that makes Coors look like Citi.

We need an innings eating option, He's averaged 208 innings per season since 2010, and we know he can handle NYC. I'd bring him back in a hot minute if he is still interested in pitching. Yes, he will be 43, but as a knuckleballer, that matters very little. His K/W and K/9 ratios have been steady, he's still getting it done. Also could serve as another de facto pitching coach/mentor like Colon did. Even though his pitching style is 180 degrees different from the rest of the staff (which is a plus in my eyes, keep opposition batters off balance), his professionalism would be a welcome addition and a great example for the rest of the staff. It's a good call, IMO.

Thoughts?

• NYMet5 likes this

#2 NYMet5

NYMet5

Mets A Ball Player

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPoughkeepsie, NY

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:02 AM

I like it Brian.  I might explore a couple of trades first but if the above is what happens this offseason I wouldnt be unhappy.  I think the above would fit into the budget too.  Mous probably gets 5 yrs at an AAV of $18-$20M, Reed 3 yrs at $9-$10M AAV and Dickey 1 yr at $7-$8M.  If you backload the contracts you could pay Mous $15 Reed $7 and than the Dickey lets say $8 in 2018.  That's $30M.  I'd add bringing back Cabrera for depth/2B and of course Blevins.  Thatd put the team at a payroll in the low $140's.

One thing they mentioned during the press conference is that Callaway has cured a reclamation project pitcher each of his years in Cleveland. (I didnt research the actual players in that category he "cured" in Cleveland).  Here he has 3 of them in Matz, Harvey and Wheeler but I wouldnt mind bringing in one other low cost high reward guy IN ADDITION to a guy like Dickey.  How much would Chris Tillman sign for off his bad year? Probably more than we'd be willing to pay, but someone like that.

#3 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:51 PM

I have no problem if they were to sign another pitcher at all, as we know all too well, there is no such thing as too much pitching.

Frankly, this is a damn NY team. We should be able to sign Darvish, Moustakas, Reed,, AND Dickey, but we know THAT'S not happening.

I like Dickey because he does one thing we desperately need. Pitch innings effectively. We need innings, especially from deeper down in the rotation. I think R A would be a great addition.

We've already picked up Blevins' option, so that's one move done. (http://newyork.cbslo...ns-mets-option/)

Do it, Omar.

#4 Drucifer

Drucifer

Admin-Super Mod

• Owners
  • 30,803 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:58 PM

As long as Alderson is here, I think Dickey will only come back if the :Mets: are the only thing on the table. So any Mets-Dickey thing won't happen early.

#5 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:15 PM

Why do you say that, Dru?

I don't recall any animus between the two or a harsh breakup at the trade, so why would coming back be a problem?

#6 METS FANG

METS FANG

Major League Rookie

• Members
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 02:00 PM

I do recall some unpleasantness during the trade negotiations.

Dickey, coming fresh off a cy young received no opportunity for extension and felt disrespected.

Not going to research it, but I remember that being a side story and personally not caring because trading him was the smart baseball move.

#7 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

One thing they mentioned during the press conference is that Callaway has cured a reclamation project pitcher each of his years in Cleveland

Calloway's first season in Cleveland was 2013 and Ubaldo Jimenez his first project.  Jimenez had a 5+ ERA in his first 2 seasons, with Callaway and in his walk year he pitched to a 3.30 ERA which earned him a 4 yr. 50 M contract with the Orioles.

Kazmir was a minor league signing in 2013 after his mechanics deserted leaving him with a 5.54 ERA in 55 starts with the Rays and Angels before being released in 2011.  He spent 2012 pitching in independent ball and winter league.  His one season with the Indians and a 4.04 ERA got him a 2 yr./20 M deal with the A's  (3.12 ERA in 50 starts) and then a 3 yr. 38 M contract from the Dodgers.

Tomlin had TJS in 2012...missing all 2013.  He was recalled  in 2014 and made 16 starts with a 4.76 ERA.  Since then he is 30-20 with a 4.57 ERA and a 6.8:1 K:BB ratio.

Trevor Bauer has been a member of the rotation for 3 seasons has improved each season with a 4.19 ERA and a 3.1:1 K:BB ratio.

None of Kluber, Carrasco or Salazar came with a can't miss label, but all three have flourished with Callaway.  

It will be interesting whom Alderson and Callaway will add as the new Pitching Coach, who will really have the closer relationship with the pitchers, but will need to be in lock step with Callaway's methodology .

• brian stark and Saxon like this

#8 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

without the Mets and specifically Josh Thole, RA Dickey would have been a career nobody without a huge contract so he should be happy that he was even given another chance by this organization...

I liked what Dickey did for the Mets, and appreciate that "smoke and mirrors" was enough to land us Syndergaard...but at this venture, I want nothing to do with him...that bridge has sailed and that ship has crumbled...I'd rather give Colon another shot than Dickey, and I don't want Colon either

#9 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

Well, like I stated earlier, look at what he did this past season pitching in THAT home park with THAT crappy team.

You wouldn't take 190 innings at 4.26 from your #5 next year?

I sure would.

#10 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

How much would Chris Tillman sign for off his bad year? Probably more than we'd be willing to pay, but someone like that.

As I suggest in the previous post, there will be demands upon Callaway's time and a plate of pitchers with issues; Harvey, Matz, Wheeler, Gsellman, Lugo and Montero.   Maybe Flexen, Pill and Milone as well. 

Add a reclamation project would be overwhelming in addition to his acclimation as well as overseeing his coaches and roster. 

Even then Tillman had more than a "bad" year...he was totally inept.   Every metric ERA, whip, K's, BB, HRs, BAbip etc. all went in the wrong direction.  Velocity was down, control was off, he was sent down and pitched a game each at A+, AA and AAA and failed at all.   His combined MiL ERA was 7.18, in 16.1 IP he allowed 13 ER, 20 H with 7 Hrs.

Dickey is an interesting thought, but FANG is correct. 

I realize Dickey had an awkward end to his relationship with the Mets, which began under Omar Minaya and ended with getting traded by Alderson. In between, R.A. seemingly burned bridges with Alderson's front office and alienated himself with certain players in the clubhouse.  Matthew Cerrone

The only players left from 2012 are DW, Familia who didn't come up until Sept. and Harvey who came up at the end of Jul. and was too self absorbed to care.  

Still Dickey wouldn't need the attention from the PC or Callaway that others need, he would be affordable and  would only want a one year deal.  The logistics could be problematic; if he signed it would be that he would be in the rotation which would bump a younger player....Matz, Wheeler or even Harvey.   Not a positive  message to send to potential FA.

• brian stark likes this

#11 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,065 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

And the axe begins to fall...

Outrighted off the 40 man roster

Tyler Pill

Erik Goeddel

Travis Taijeron

Phillip Evans

Wuilmer Becerra

https://www.mlbtrade...ve-players.html

#12 brian stark

brian stark

All-Star

• Members
  • 11,148 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:47 PM

Semisurprised about Becerra, moderately surprised at Goeddel.

The others? Meh.

#13 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:36 PM

Semisurprised about Becerra,

for all the Becerra is the sleeper in the trade noise...he's 23, never played above A ball, has shown little power and not much speed...what's the hype for anyhow? It certainly doesn't show up in his minor league stats...there are only 40 protected spots...it's not like you are leaving a 19 year old Daryl Strawberry exposed to the Rule 5 draft & he's still in the system unless picked in the rule 5:

https://www.baseball...id=becerr000wui

#14 sg34Thor

sg34Thor

Draftee

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationThe Big Apple, USA, NA, Earth

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:08 PM

Having watched 4 of the 5 do pretty much nada with the Mets, I vote MEH for this big story

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#15 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

I was a little surprised that Goeddel was dropped from the 40 man and Robles remains.  Over the past two seasons  Goeddel has been outstanding at getting out of a mess coming into a game by allowing only 12.5% of inherited runners to score while Robles is at 40% and last year 50% of the runners scored. 

It's a wonder that the starting rotation hadn't ordered a contract hit on Robles.

• brian stark likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users