Welcome to Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets

Sign In  Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Create Account
Welcome to MetsParadise.com, the Unofficial Message Board of the New York Mets. Like most online communities, you must register to post in our Mets Forum. Not to worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Join our community by signing in or creating an account. Registered users are able to:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
;lgm;

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Members, please take a moment to read

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,065 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

First and foremost, on behalf of myself, and every single member of Mets Paradise, I would like to offer a sincere apology to Mrs. yogi for any offense.  I do not mean to be presumptuous, nor imply that any other member should have need or cause to make a similar statement.  But I have been here with you guys for many years now, and know that I speak for all on this. 

I wasn't going to get anywhere near the recent situation in the Shoutbox, but it wouldn't stop bothering me.  And I am not taking sides in this at all, but felt it needed to be addressed.  So here goes.

This forum is a place where we all come to relax, let our hair down, and banter about a shared passionate interest.  It is the online equivalent of a corner pub.  We are not at work, around our children, at a place of worship, or even at the dinner table with out spouse.  We are hanging out with a bunch of guys we feel comfortable with.  We are not watching our language the same way as if we were in a different situation.  No one posts thinking that a person other than the members are reading.  No one means to insult or offend another's family.  And none of us would tolerate anyone saying something about another's family.

However, being expected to "watch our language" here is unrealistic.  It's a standard that I, for one, would have a very hard time living up to.  Nobody posts here thinking of who might occasionally pass by.  And nobody posts here meaning to, or wanting to, offend anyone.  Based upon the situation, there will be bad language at times.  None of it is meant personally.

I hope I have not overstepped here.  I would ask that everyone please refrain from making any jokes in reply.

• Saxon likes this

#2 Saxon

Saxon

All-Star

• Members
  • 9,106 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:58 PM

I can understand someone being upset about bad language...and I don't fault a person for feeling that way, particularly if a spouse or child was exposed to it...I know that when metsrefugees was a little more risque on the general discussion forum, I used to keep myself signed off unless my kids were out of the room (people would occasionally have inappropriate avatars/sig-lines and posts that couldn't be seen unless you were signed on as a member)

However on the other side...this is a sports forum, mostly full of guys that are passionate about their team...when your team lets you down, you vent...you aren't in church in front of a bishop, you are with other like minded obsessed fans...and venting is what most of us do when things go wrong; and may get loud & boisterous, waiving our "27 rings baby" in everyone's face when we win (oops, wrong forum, I was forgetting that I wasn't busy worshipping Captain Fistpump over at bronxbombers.com)...

and by the way, most of the bad language gets filtered by the filter thingy...

#3 yogib8

yogib8

Starter

• Members
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

mjjm, thank you for this post.  

There is a difference from the local watering hole or hanging out with your friends talking sports.  Those are vocal and likely more apt to be spontaneous and unfiltered.   Anything written is composed and each of us has the ability to say what they feel without using foul language.  

I grew up at a time that language was not on TV, movies, a ball field or even in any watering hole or club I and my wife went to.  It wasn't in our parents home, nor ours.   Even spent 6 years in the Navy and it wasn't there either.  Today it may be unavoidable in real time.   That doesn't excuse using it in a written format where even one member is sensitive to it. 

Should I be ostracized for being that one member?

I was previously suspended by Dru for getting into a argument, in which a particularly profane post was pulled down, with a member over the use of Jesus Christ.   I have been mute on that members 'cheese and rice' as his intentional substitute.

I have blocked that member, although there have been periods when we could cordially co-exist.  

I am not leaving and I expect nothing from that member or Dru in the form of regulation.  Everyone else can accept that or drive me out. 

#4 mjjm367

mjjm367

All-Star

• Members
  • 10,065 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

yogi, this place would be greatly lessened without you.  And anyone trying to "drive you out" will find that quite difficult, as you do not stand alone.  

However, the world has changed.  The typed word in a social context like this is as spontaneous and unfiltered as the spoken word.  For better or worse, it is what it is.

None mean to offend, but it's gonna happen.  Please excuse any offense, but know that it is not deliberate by any of us.  Hopefully, with that understanding, we can all coexist on here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users